1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time Management

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Helen, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Helen

Helen Guest

Right. I've had enough of this. I'm sick and tired of disappointing my parents, my teachers, and myself with this stupid stupid problem that I just can't get rid of.

I don't work. I just...don't. I tell myself "right, I'm going to do ALL MY HOMEWORK when I get home, before going on EC, before signing on MSN, before ANYTHING". But when I get home it just doesn't happen. My mum rang me up just now from my parent-teacher evening, and she spent ages telling me how disappointed she was that I've fallen behind in Chemistry and History especially, because History "is supposed to be my best subject". I mean, this isn't a thread about my mum, I see where she's coming from, and it's not like she didn't tell me which subjects I was doing really well in, which to be honest is every other subject except Chemistry and History.

But I know that it's my work in general. I don't do homework at home because I'm too lazy and I always seem to have other things on, I use breaks and lunchtimes and sometimes even wake up at 5 in the morning to do homework, and revise for exams at the last minute. I just always seem to run out of time to do things, and I wish I knew how to FORCE myself to work. I'm just not motivated at the moment :frowning2:

2. Kyle Tristan

Kyle Tristan Guest

HELEN! :grin:
    i can't really give advice on that cause i have the same problem. well, sorta like it...:grin:

3. ArcaneVerse

I cant really give much advice on motivating yourself because i dropped out in year 7 and gave up on my homeschooling but try not to live up to other peoples expectations because your never going to meet them, if you want to do better at school then do it for yourself, set your own goals and try your best to reach them.

Do a hour of work then take rest(watch tv or something) then do another hour, break up the study so its not a daunting thought to do home work. Maybe you could go some one to sit with you to go over things so your interacting and learning and might help with distractions.

4. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Helen, you need to set goals for yourself. Write down everything you need to do in order of when they need to be finished. When you complete a task then reward yourself with an hour of EC time. (and absolutely stick to it!) Then set out to complete your next goal. It only takes three weeks to change a bad habit if you are consistent. You can do this. You will feel great about getting your homework completed and making yourself and your parents happy.

5. Markio

I used to have that problem. I almost didn't pass sixth grade because I never did homework. They had to keep me in the main office during every lunch period where I would sit and do late homework. That year they also gave detention for missing homework, so guess where I was every Tuesday and Thursday!
    In seventh grade, I started out badly too--I got a few Ds, but after that I just started to apply myself a little more. By eighth grade I had no more Ds, and because of my amazing testing abilities, I was "conditionally accepted" at my high school. If you're not a good test taker, then doing homework matters even more.

I guess for homework, you have to pick your battles. What homework is the easiest to get done? What homework do you look forward to doing? If it's the weekend and you're having a hard time enjoying yourself because something's due, at least start the assignment, you'll have an easier time finishing it. Also, what homework is collected and which homework is just checked? My biology teacher freshman year only checked to see if we took notes, so I literally just did one page worth every lunch period right before class. More importantly, I was sure to pay attention during class to learn what I had not written down. If you're risky and do homework on the day it's due, make sure you're realistic about time.

6. I'm in pretty much the same position Helen, I have no motivation whatsoever at the moment. I'll tell myself that I have to do something, and then get to it and think that I'll do it later, and then never do...

7. Jim1454

I can relate Helen. It doesn't get any easier as you get older. Sorry to say.

Make a list. Put things you have to do at the top. Put things you'd like to do, or need to do for yourself at the bottom. Because you have to have balance, and you need to keep your own life in order.

Don't make it too long - or it overwhelms you.

And then do one thing. Just one. Big or small. And when it's done, cross it off the list.

On that note, I'd better log off and get some work done. I'll lead by example! :smilewave

8. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here's a suggestion that might work.

I love cheesecake. I could eat a full cheesecake every day. But I don't. You know why? Not willpower. It's just because I don't have any cheesecake here. The temptation isn't here. I just make sure not to have any cheesecake around.

So perhaps you can do the same. Make wasting time difficult. Remove the temptation.

For instance, if you jump on the computer and EC first thing when you get home, make it difficult to do so.

When you leave for school in the morning, turn the computer off.
    Turn the monitor off.
    Unplug one of them.
    Unhook the keyboard and take it into the basement.
    Unplug the mouse and hand it to your mother, and tell her to hand it over only once you tell her you've finished your homework.

You don't have to do ALL of these things, of course. But do as many as you have to. Then, when you get home, you can't just sit down, nudge the mouse, and go ECing. You have to do some work. You have to turn things on. You have to let them boot up. You have to go retrieve your keyboard. All of these things will remind you "I really should be doing my homework instead", and that should nudge you into doing it. :slight_smile:

Lex