1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I -almost- came out to my Grandmother today

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MusicIsLife, Nov 3, 2008.

1. MusicIsLife

I went to visit her, and we were talking, and i 'casually' asked her if there were any gay people in the family. I tried to keep it casual, but i was basically petrified. Thank god shes blind cause i probably looked as scared as i felt. she said no, and she started to mix up homosexuality with pedophilia, and she said basically gays and lesbians are okay as long as they dont pray on children. I didnt push the matter, i dropped it really fast. Shes 86, so i dont think its smart to come out to her after hearing how easily she mixes up the two matters.

So...yeah. :/

2. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    It just sounds like a lack of understanding to me. I bet if you talked to her and told her that the two or not the same at all, she would be okay. Just give her a little education and remember that its different when its your own.

3. Trent13

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I agree with Beckyg
    But dont feel the need to tell her because i think (not say this out of fact) she would be used to a male and female stuff for when she was little and up to now
    If that makes sense

4. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My former pastor used to pray on children. Does that make him a gay pedophile?

5. Psst... I think she means prey...

6. thugbuster245

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Music,

You seem like a very smart woman. I agree with the other people that have replied when they suggest that you should educate your grandmother on the differences between a gay person and a pedophile. If she seems receptive to your lesson, then you might come out to her. However, if she is stuck in her ways and can't see the difference, I'd just drop the issue. She's 86 and has lived a long life. It's obvious that you love her. I'm sure you want to keep her around as long as possible, and not to sound harsh, but the added stress could cause her major health issues or even death sooner than it should. :slight_smile: