1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My coming out letter to my parents :D

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by OddPink1, Feb 7, 2015.

1. OddPink1

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    To those who saw my previous thread, you may have seen me and the other poster's mention writing a letter for my parents about my coming out (because I'm terrible with talking). This is only a draft that is definatly subject to change between now and when I give it to them. Any suggestions or feedback is much appreciated ^-^
    The letter reads as follows:

Dear Mum & Dad

You may be wondering why I handed you a random piece of paper, but it's because I need to tell you something. Something that has been bothering me for a very long time now...

I am Transgender.

Now you still may remember that email I sent you while back where I had told you about wanting a sex-change, though I went about the whole thing wrong, plus, it was an email...

Now this news may hit you really hard, or it may not. But understand this, I am still the same weird-ass child you saw grow into a weird-ass teenager.

Now, you're possibly wondering why? Why am I different? And I don't know the answer to that, there are many like me who feel the exact same way and have no idea why. The biggest reason I'm coming out now is because I'm suffering from gender dysphoria, major anxiety and even depression related to my sex. So basically whenever I'm referred to by male pronouns (boy, he, him) it kills me inside and this has been pent up for nearly 4 years now, and I can't take it any longer.

I am not blaming you, and don't blame yourself. You've done nothing wrong. How could you possibly have known this about me? Although I have dropped subtle hints from time to time, you'd have to be incredibly perceptive and known a lot about body language to pick up on them!

I understand you may need some time to think on this. Take your time, theres no rush. When you are ready to speak to me about it I'll be happy to answer any question's thrown at me to the best of my ability! If you need more infomation, there are plenty of websites and books I'd be happy to send forward to you!

With Love, [name]

2. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    i think it is great. 2 thoughts:

can you offer them places to go for information (a website perhaps).. they will be needing to understand what it all really means

are you able to do it face to face - rather than a letter. it might make it easier for all of you. It gets rid of that awful waiting period between them reading the letter.. and plucking up the courage to talk to you about it

3. OddPink1

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'd would do that option but the problem is that I can suffer from massive stage fright when talking about personal situations, especially to family members. I don't want to sound unsure of myself and stutter all the time because they won't take me serious otherwise.
    Thats why I went with the letter.

4. Wildside

Wildside Guest

I think a letter is a good way to go, and this is an excellent letter. It is short enough, it is to the point, and it is compassionate and loving, taking into consideration how they will feel when they get this news. Good luck! and be sure to let us know how it goes! We'll be thinking about you.

5. David21201

Pretty good.

If they have questions just be prepared to answer them.

6. lily42

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    tis great :3

7. OddPink1

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thanks guys ^_^ I lterally spent all afternoon yesterday writing this up. I've shown the letter to my amaazing friends aswell and they to thinks its great! Couldn't be more proud of myself!

8. whattodoii

in the back of my closet, with one friend :)
    It's great!! loved the part of the weird-ass child and the weird-ass teenager :b