1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to my parents today

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MonteGuy92, Feb 7, 2015.

1. MonteGuy92

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have decided today is the day. I wrote my parents a letter and my aunt is taking it over to them. I wanted to tell them in person but their threats of violence didn't make that possible. I know if I did it in person my emotions would get the best of me and it would turn ugly very fast. The letter is very heartfelt and understanding. I just hope they open their hearts and minds enough to understand. My aunt only found out Sunday and she has surprisingly come around after a few days. My family is EXTREMELY religious and blinded by hate. So I am not sure how this will go. Please pray, send positive vibes, or just keep me in your thoughts today.

#1 MonteGuy92, Feb 7, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  2. YermanTom

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations.

Parents will naturally always love there children, however religion can twist the minds of otherwise good people.
    Even if the initial reaction is bad they will come round eventually!

Best of luck!

3. Wildside

Wildside Guest

Congratulations!!! You've dropped the hammer, the letter is on its way, so you have come out to them. That is a huge step. Now, about that part where you say that they are violent, that is really disconcerting. Be safe, and you definitely don't owe it to them to put yourself in a situation where they might physically hurt you. Or even emotionally, though you can only limit that. I suggest if you are with them and they start tearing into you, just leave. Don't return anger for anger, just as calmly as you can put on your coat, shake the sand off your feet, and leave.

4. MonteGuy92

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I just wanted to give an update. My parents took it very hard as did the rest of my aunts and uncles and grandparents. The letter was only intended for my parents but my parents then called everyone and told them. My dad is very angry and doesn't want to see me but my mom is trying to understand and trying to make things right. I think she is struggling with what she's always been taught by religion. I think she is kind of in denial. She asked me how I know that I am gay and I told her the same way that she knows she is straight. My grandma just keeps saying I need to find the right girl. I feel relieved though. I just hope my family comes around.

5. Wildside

Wildside Guest

have you read this yet:
    https://www.google.com/webhp?source...#q=empty closets stages of acceptance parents

I am so sorry that you are going through such a bad experience. Congratulations on having the strength to come out. I don't guess that it feels all that good right now. Read through the link above, at least to get a perspective on what is going on. One imporant thing that I learned from the link is that by the time we are ready to come out, we have gone through the whole cycle and we're already at acceptance, but they are just finding out and are going to be in denial, and then anger. you are in my thoughts and prayers, that you might have the strength to walk through the coming days. (*hug*)

6. MonteGuy92

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you for the link. I am doing my best to understand what they are feeling and trying my best to answer their questions without getting angry. They are really taking it hard. They both took off work today and are going to see their doctor because they said they are emotional basket cases. That makes me feel bad but I need to stop feeling bad because I didn't choose to do this to them. I just thank God I do not live with them. Thank goodness I was able to get my own place and have some space. It would be much harder and much more awkward if I still lived there. I don't think I could handle it. Thank you for your support too. It feels good to know I am not alone (*hug*)

7. Wildside

Wildside Guest

I want to suggest that you should feel good that they took off work to see their doctor. Rather than just let their emotions drive them, and do or say something that could be really hurtful, they are seeking help. This is a really good thing. I hope that their doctors are able to help them walk through this and react appropriately, so that they can deal with it and be more supportive of what you're going through. My fingers and toes are crossed! (*hug*)