1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I just came out :/

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by OddPink1, Feb 8, 2015.

1. OddPink1

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    well I said today was the day, and so here I am, out of the closet. Dad's reaction was expected, he has to think about it for a while, I guess he'll talk to me when I'm ready.
    Mum on the other hand.... Mum stated I may be confused, that I haven't shown any signs of female tendencies when I was younger or now. She also said (and this still pisses me off) that the things I'm interested in, like gaming and other stuff, is not seen as 'feminine' and that if I really was a girl (which I feel I am) that I wouldn't be interested in them! Coming from a woman who enjoys typically male things herself, I'm stunned that she would feel this way towards gender conformity.
    I know that this is just the initial reaction, and I know they're opinions will change it in time, its just.... I wish it were different...
    If had gone on with my outing 2 years ago things would be different, but its too late now, I have to deal with the now and the future...

2. whattodoii

in the back of my closet, with one friend :)
    Hey there! I was too late to wish you good luck :frowning2: Your dad's reaction is pretty logical, and it's not too bad, right? But it's pretty annoying that your mom's stereotyping!! I'm a girl and I've loved gaming when I was a little kid, do people think I might be trans? NO! But when a little boy plays with barbie dolls, people tend to think something like that wayy earlier, which is so annoying!! It's extra stupid, because your mom does like male things herself, so I really don't understand that! I hope she'll realize that what she said, is pretty freaking stupid and that she's really hurt your feelings... And do you always have to show it?? That's pretty ridiculous, that's (to me) the same as people who think that girl who dress tomboy-ish are lesbians, like: It's a clothing style, not a sexual preference!!!! So yeah, I'm kinda ranting... :/
    But your parents never suspected it?
    *hug*

3. vicky90

Congratulations on taking the courage the come out to your family.

You have come out now when you have felt it - which is indeed a good thing. Don't worry now. Things will get sorted in time. You can't expect it to go smoothly. Just remember you are neither late nor early. Everything happens with time. And may be now was the perfect time for you. Stay relaxed.

Take care of yourself and build other important aspects of your life such as your character, personality, skills, interests, career, - which will make you a better person in future. Gender & sexuality is just a part of us and it does not define the person.

May be 2 years ago you would be confused and not confident to handle the situation, may be 10 years down the line - it would not matter whether you come out now or some time later/back. Stay cool. You will be fine.

Good luck :slight_smile:

4. PossumJack

Hello OddPink1! First, congrats on having the courage to come out!

Don't lose hope, your mom's reaction is very similar to my mom's when I came out to her, but the other way around. She also said that "I might be confused" and that "I didn't hate dresses or anything when I was 5", things like that. Don't worry! It might take some time, but she'll hopefully turn around. It took my mom nearly two months to get used to the idea, but now she no longer rejects it and says she just wants me to do whatever makes me the happiest.

What you should keep in mind is that even though you knew who you were for a long time, the possibility of you being transgender probably never occurred to your mom before. It's especially hard for parents because they raised you believing they had a son for years and it comes as a shock to them when you come out. Many parents go through a "grieving process" of sorts when their child comes out to them.

Your mom in particular seems to be in denial. What I would suggest is to give both your parents some space to sort out their own feelings and thoughts, but definitely remain firm in telling them what you know. What I did was to back off a little and we didn't talk directly about my gender for several days, but I didn't hesitate to refer to myself as my real gender.

Both your parents also might be confused as to what being transgender actually means. Throughout this period of time, I found it helpful to send my mom articles and videos which explained what being transgender entails, and how parents can help their trans* kids. The more they learn about it, usually the less they are afraid of the changes which might be ahead.

Best of luck to you! (&&&)

5. OddPink1

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hey Guys ^-^
    I would've liked to reply much sooner, but the internet was bugging out last night :/
    Anywho, thanks for all the support I definitely couldn't have done any of this without you all! I have done more in three days then I've done in 4 years and that is quite a feat!
    I guess I'll have it a bit lucky though this week as I'm pretty much home alone with my Mum as Dad has gone away on work trip for a week, so I'm hoping he may come to terms with it while he's away.
    I also talked to Mum a bit more yesterday and discovered the reason she steryotyped me was because that she herself has known transgendered people when she was younger (i don't how old she was or anything like that. She didn't give details), but the people she knew had transitioned at a young age (5 I think she said), and because I hadn't shown any signs of it when I was younger... Like you said @PossumJack, she's in denial. Although there is a hint of rejection, because she did say that maybe I'm just going through a phase, but luckily she did she say that they both still love me afterwards, so thats some thing I guess :slight_smile:
    Though she is going through denial, Mum is okay with talking about it to me if I ask her anything or want to talk about something to her.
    I think I will do as you say though and refer to myself as the gender I identify with, it'll help though that at school all my friends have willingly agreed to refer to me by female pronouns, so it'll take getting used to, but'll help me out a lot in the long run :grin:
    Thanks again ^_^

6. Wildside

Wildside Guest

Congratulations on coming out to your parents. And remember this, two years from today, you won't have to be saying 'I wish I'd come out two years ago.' Instead you'll be saying, 'wow, it's been two years since I've come out, and I feel so good about it.' Your dad's reaction sounds really good. your mom is going through some denial. you may want to look at this page if you haven't seen it before, or read it again as a refresher: Empty Closets - Parent and Family Stages of Grief
    and the best part of reading that link is seeing that even though there may be some rough days to go through, it eventually gets to ACCEPTANCE! (&&&)

7. OddPink1

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Well, Dad talked to me today. It was over the phone so yeah...
    Anyway, he said the exact same thing as what my mum said! They both think I'm confused and think that I have no idea what I'm talking about! Do think they its easy to express something like this?! Its worse too apparently because I like girls, I shouldn't need to change my sex! :tantrum:
    They're still going to take me to a doctor though, because they at least understand that they're clearly not suited to handle this situation, and honestly, I can't wait because I'll finally be able to talk to someone that isn't going to immediately judge me... I know it can take awhile for parents to come around to the idea I may be different, but this is just ridiculous!
    :bang:

8. lily42

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    imma be straight forward and please do excuse my lang and words...... THATS COMPLETE BULLSHIT AND WHY IN THE HELL WOULD YOUR PARENTS THINK THAT??!!!!?!?!?!?!? ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME!!!!!?????? eh em..... do excuse me...... anyway im quite mad myself atm so thats why im all ragey but for real? why would they say that to you, i mean dont you think they should be like "oh shit i never knew that, it must be hard for you to come out to us about it" or mabye, "sorry sweetie we love you no matter what" or SOMETHING BETTER THAN "OH YEA LETS USE MODERN MEDICINE TO "FIX" YOU AS IF YOU ARE BROKEN" i mean WTF mom and dad GJ on being parents of the year!!!! and still im not just trying to dis your parents, i just find it very rude of them to say that. (sigh) rage mode off. alright well i do wish you the best of luck sweetie <3 please do well and keep us posted - lily

9. whww123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    First off, you're very brave for being able to tell them about your transgender dysphoria.
    Second off, don't expect them to understand right away.
    Depending how they personally took it, they might be going through some stages of grief and/or denial.
    Just give it time and give them the resources and help them learn.
    You got this.

---------- Post added 9th Feb 2015 at 04:32 AM ----------

I'm sure once they get the education, her parents will realize what transgender dysphoria is and realize it isn't a phase or an act of rebellion and they'll be more understanding. It's just the initial shock, they'll understand with time. :thumbsup:

10. lily42

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    oh dear god i hope so or lily gonna have to kick some ass XD

11. whww123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Bahah we'll have to hope for her parents sake (&&&)

12. lily42

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    damn right girl <3 anyway dont worry about your parents sweetie <3

13. OddPink1

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Mum talked to me again, although she has stated they still love me, I feel like its not about me, but themselves. They keep bringing up the point I wasn't "girly" when I was little and that I'm only feeling this way because of hormonal changes.
    They're blaming all sorts of ridiculous things too.
    First they thought it was because of a t.v show that appeared 2 years ago before I first came out, which I can say I wasn't even in the same room as them let alone listening to the t.v. They then went to blame my friends, which I stated were as in the dark as they were and were really accepting. They even blamed school for something they presumed might have been taught in health class!
    They also asked what I could have been looking at on the internet, and I did state that I looked at various topics about transgenders and joined an LGBT forum (didn't state which one). So they went with blame game again and started blaming people here saying you're trying to "corrupt" me or something like that, which I immediately denied because I've only asked questions and advice.
    I'm just shocked that my own mother can be this ignorant about this particular subject!
    If the next thing I discover is that they're homophobic..... I don't if I could handle that...
    I know its better to come out, but..... I preferred it when they were none the wiser...
    I need a hug...

14. lily42

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    if you wanna cuddle just tell me <3 (cuddles oddpink)

15. OddPink1

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I hugging my teddy right now heh.
    Close enough :icon_wink

16. lily42

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    and i hugging my pikachu pillowpet :3

17. whattodoii

Wow, your mom's so ignorant and it's pissing me off that she's blaming all those people and things, when they're clearly not the 'cause' of this, so, just wow! I want to crawl though the computer screen and just give you a long hug and some tea(coffee? IDK what you like better... (*hug*):kiss: so yeah :confused: just hold on, and hope they'll get it in the future... When's the doctor's appointment? I hope that'll go well, and maybe if your parents will hear it from a proffessional, they'll maybe accept it better??IDK
    Just, (*hug*) :kiss:

18. OddPink1

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thank you soooo much (*hug*) :kiss: , I don't know what I would've done if Hadn't found EC!
    Tea or Coffee? Whatever you have :grin:
    Long hug? Yes please (*hug*)
    Now I haven't specifically been told when I'm going for my appointment, all I know is that they said when dad comes back from his work trip.
    I agree with what you, and everyone else said about Mum. She's being ignorant.
    I know she means well, and is being sincere in what she says but she's going about it all wrong.
    I think its just because Mum raised me that she believes that I should appear as she wants me too, not what I want too.
    I think I'll need to tell her she's upsetting me though. A little bit after she left the room When she was talking to me, I actually started crying. So hopefully this fixes soon enough or I don't know how long until I really start to break down :frowning2:

19. whattodoii

You're welcome and yeah, me too, I feel like I found some really nice people and I've just gotten some really good advice. Also, TBH I didn't really know too much about anything in general, and I've learnt so much, (like what is MTF, I didn't know, but now I do :slight_smile:). I'll have tea, I don't really like coffee...
    I do think it might be a good idea to tell her how you feel about it, and hey we're here, your friends are there for you and I don't know why I'm getting so emotional, because now I'm crying, so I hope with all my heart they'll get to their senses and just accept you whoever you are/want to be (*hug*)
    BTW, I hope your appointment is going to be soon though

20. OddPink1

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thanks for caring :slight_smile: i think for now, I'll see how things go, but if things get bad I'll talk too her. I definitely will bring it up at the GP's, around then is when (if I haven't already) I'll talk to her about it. :tears: