1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meeting Gay Men as a Young Adult

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Ryesright, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Ryesright

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey guys,

So I know that a big bulk of EC seems to have a lot of youngsters, the 13-19 age range seems to occupy a huge bulk as opposed to the 20+. However, I have a question I was hoping some might be able to comment on.

I'm going to Grad School next year, and I know that I want to end my relationship with my current boyfriend just so I can really focus on my new schooling and not allow my current problems with him to perpetuate. So I'll be single, but I know that I want to meet new guys. However, it dawned on me: Where is the best location to do that? I know that urban areas, cities like NY, Boston, San Fransico, Chicago, Dallas/Houston, etc. have some "gayborhoods." But, there's always the chance that I won't get into a Grad program on an urban campus.

So where does that leave me? In a suburban or rural location. I know a lot of towns have perhaps a gay bar or club to meet guys, but frankly, that's not my thing. I party and drink and what not, but I'm not really into one night stands, so if I'm at a party cruising for a guy, I'm generally just looking to make a friend, and see where things go. However, I feel like the typical gay club or bar, especially in a suburban area, is filled with guys looking for drugs and sex. Don't get me wrong! Maybe not all places are like that, but I feel like this mentality makes up an unfortunately significant part of gay culture.

So with many bars/clubs out of the question...

Where does that leave me? Where does the single gay young adult find a fellow gay man to befriend, and maybe somewhere along the line, build an intimate relationship with?

2. mikeh

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you're going to grad school, that will likely be at a larger university. Most have a GSA or LGBT group you can join. I have met a lot of friends that way, and they have events to go to--like movie nights, we worked on a Habitat project, etc.

3. Jim1454

^ Absolutely!!! Join a gay club or social group. It doesn't have to be associated with campus - I know Toronto has a group called 'Out and Out' - a gay social club that organizes all kinds of events. So there are tons of opporunities.

I also had luck with a Craigslist ad. (Strictly Platonic section!) You're new to the city and looking for friends to hang out with, etc. You might be pleasantly surprised at who responds.

Good luck!

4. krazykyle

krazykyle Guest

I live in L.A and its pretty awesome, you meet alot of gay people around the area I live.

5. -Michael-

If you're that worried about your schooling, i wouldn't base your school choice the LGBT community.

Although it is an added bonus, it is contradictory to the cause.

6. NACHO

i agree. most schools have GSA or LGBT clubs but if not just google something like gay comunity and the name of the twon you will live in and hopefully things will come up. I did it and i found out a myspace page with alot of people just like me and everyone is from the same twon and they have like meetings and get togethers and stuff and you meet cool people. =]