1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to my best friend...well...kinda...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ThePrideInside4, Feb 8, 2015.

1. ThePrideInside4

So...
    I recently emailed my best friend (who lives in another state) and I explained the whole transgender thing to her. I told her that I've always been a boy, I just want to change so that other people can see it as well. She was so supportive about it, and she respected that I prefer male pronouns (not many people respect that in my life). But...

I haven't told her I'm gay.

This is hard because I don't know if she'll understand or not. I have told 1 friend at school that I am a gay male, but she forgets to use male pronouns, and when I talk about other gay males, she says "but he's gay", implying that I am not a boy in her eyes. She is bisexual with a preference of girls, so I thought that because she is also part of the LGBTQA community that she'd understand...
    Anyway, so I still haven't told my other friend that I'm gay, and I do not know if she'll react the same way or if she understand and respect it.
    :help: What do you guys think is the best option? :help:
    Thank you :newcolor:

---------- Post added 8th Feb 2015 at 09:54 AM ----------

**And I have met people who think that girls change to guys because they like other girls, and they don't understand that transboys can like other boys too. This is why I don't know if she'll understand or not.**

2. CallenH

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'll be completely honest with you, the whole Gay Transgender thing is a completely new concept to me.

I think it's better to tell her, as she seems to have been supportive. She may be a little confused and not understand straight away, but I think that it's a process you can start, it might take a while but being completely yourself is probably what's best for you.

Good Luck with it all though :slight_smile:

3. rhapsodic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have you considered that maybe it isn't because she doesn't understand or respect you? A good friend wouldn't suddenly change their mind about respecting you just because you came out to them. There's a good chance that she just hasn't gotten used to it yet. After having seen you as a female for so long, maybe she just needs time to get her old image of you out of her head and get used to your new gender identity.

As for whether or not you should come out, that is totally up to you. However, you should expect that some people might need some time to get used to your identity.

4. ThePrideInside4

Okay, so I told her...And all is well.
    She respects that I prefer male pronouns, and she's very supportive that I'm gay. She said she will try to think of me as a guy, but she will always know that I'm the same me I have always been, and she won't see me as a new person, only a new fact about me :slight_smile:

5. Wildside

Wildside Guest

Congratulations on telling her! I hope it wasn't too hard to do. The important thing is, you did it!
    (!)(!!)(!)

6. HiAndBi

Good job :slight_smile: