1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Correcting People

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by CallenH, Feb 8, 2015.

1. CallenH

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So I started coming out just before Christmas, and it's been a bit of a strange experience. I'm of the mindset where I am comfortable in my sexuality, and If anyone out and out asked me about it I would tell them.

However sometimes when I'm sat in class with people I haven't explicitly told, they say things referring to my "future wife" or something along those lines. Now I don't correct them and say that they mean my "future husband".

Should I correct them? Or should I just leave it, because I don't want it to seem like I am defining myself by my sexuality. I also don't know how you would correct someone on in the terms of that kind of conversation

Any Advice would be greatly appreciated :slight_smile:

2. Amy Deveraux

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I think if it is passers by then I wouldn't put thought into it -- if it is a friend or someone that you want to accept you then I would make the effort. It's like picking up a book and trying to guess the gender of an author with the name, hit or miss, sometimes people just don't know so they go to their default settings.
    Hope that helps.

3. CallenH

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That's a good way of putting it actually, cheers :slight_smile:

4. Clay

Correcting them as soon as possible is the best option.

5. andhow

Personally you'll probably turn off a lot of people being so pedantic. It's essentially how you say it.

"Do you have a wife?"
    Catty faggot response: "Husthband, not wife! But no."
    Normal, not on a gay crusade response:
    "No, I don't have a partner at the moment. But maybe one day I'll meet the right dude."

Don't make it about their word choice (that's really pedantic, looking for discrimination, and will put people the fuck off, real quick), just don't use the same nouns/pronouns when answering the question, and they'll get the picture without you having to "call somebody out."

6. Wildside

Wildside Guest

if they're just talking in generic, general terms and you don't know them that well, it might not really make sense to interrupt them and clarify. Just like there are times I correct people when they get my name wrong, and other times where it really doesn't matter. It's not always all about me (only most of the time LOL!). But if it really is a discussion about you and your future and it is germane to the conversation, then there are several ways to correct them, from asking them not to assume that you will have a wife, all the way to telling them that your hope is to some day have a husband. so, like a lot of things, it depends...

7. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    CallenH Hey....how's life? Good I hope. Wife/Husband.....whatever. It's not really a big deal. Unless they make a total fool of themselves and need to be straightened out. If they're acting like a idiot then treat them likewise.

8. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personally I would correct them. I don't put up with anyone talking about my 'future husband', lol.

9. GhostNeko

I mean... I would not correct them... I'd just stop talking and completely remove myself.