1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I tell her?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by gleewarblergirl, Feb 8, 2015.

1. gleewarblergirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian

okay so sheeeeeers the deal. My friend Isabella asked me if I liked anyone and I said yes and then my Best friend Brooklyn looked at me questioningly and said that she thought I didn't and who? I told her it was a friend of ours and she guessed all of our guy friends. I told her that this crush was different and I wasn't comfortable telling anyone yet. She said okay, but she was hurt that I didn't trust her because she told me who she liked, and we've been best friends for over 5 years. I know I can trust her, but once LGBT had come up and she said that because she was very religious she doesn't think its right, but she wouldnt judge anyone or dislike them for being gay. I know that I can trust her, and it would feel good to tell someone and it would be a weight off of my shoulders, but 1) Im not very open about my feelings and talking about my feelings makes me feel uncomfortable no matter how minor it is. and 2) although she wouldn't judge me, I'm afraid that because she is slightly against people being gay we our friendship might suffer and we might drift apart. I can't lose her as a friend, but she's hurt that i don't feel that I can trust her and it would be a weight off my shoulders. Do you think I should tell her?

2. thesecretcat

Heya, to be honest, I think it would be a good idea to tell her as it will take a HUGE weight off your shoulders :wink: it is always awkward talking about crushes and who you like for anyone but believe me you will feel a lot better after you tell her. If she does drift apart from you (which I doubt, but I can't judge as I don't know and I don't have the right to) just give her time to come through and nearly always, if she is a good friend, she will accept you with open arms :slight_smile: I remember being in a similar situation quite a while ago when I came out to my best guy friend, at first he was shocked and kind of annoyed with me haha but after the first shock he was fine. I have never felt closer to anyone and I am even closer to him now :slight_smile: I hope this helps xx :slight_smile:

3. gleewarblergirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    thanks I appreciate the advice! :slight_smile: who knew pikachu was so wise? haha

4. lyjo

If you feel ready then just go ahead and tell her. I came out to everyome this year, and it really does feel great. Once you tell her, chances are people might find out (that kind of stuff travels fast, even with best friends) or that you'll grow more and more confident and start telling more people. Coming out is reslly great when you're surrounded by the right people and have supportjve friends and family. I hope it all goes well for you, keep us updated. :slight_smile:

5. fullmetalheart

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    You should tell her who you like,but not describe yourself as a lesbian, or bisexual. It seems weird, but she will be more likely to accept you. This is a weird thing I learned over the years.

6. Wildside

Wildside Guest

I would say that telling her will probably change the relationship in some way, but the relationship has already been changed because she knows that there is something there that you're not telling her. Keeping the secret may eventually kill the relationship no matter what. Telling her will change things, but it could be for the better. Yeah, she may be so hung up by her religious ideas that she can't be friends with a gay girl. But if that's the case, she doesn't really like you, she likes who she thinks you are. But then again, she may be the magnanimous person who you have always believed her to be, and she may love you for who you really are. And that's a friendship worth having for life. Think about it!

7. gleewarblergirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Okay guys Thak you for the advice, im gonna tell her today at school. check my blog if you want to know what happens. again thank you so much for the help