1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want to come out to my family

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MisterBeet, Nov 3, 2008.

1. MisterBeet

A very, very, very small town in Tennessee
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi, I'm new here. :smilewave I'm not sure how to come out to my family. I came out to almost everyone last month, but told my closest friends a month before. I'm now in a relationship. I really would like to come out to my family, but I'm not sure how. I may not for a while. I'm just struggling a little because I don't know what my family would think. Suggestions? :rolleyes:

2. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well considering that you're only 13, you have a lot of time to worry about that. There's no rush in coming out to them. Don't do it until you feel you're ready and comforable with it. Also making sure you're on good terms with everyone at the time definitely helps. If you so decide to come out to your family soon, I would suggest talking to them after a family dinner or if you don't want to talk with them you can always write a thoughtful letter and leave it somewhere for them before you go to school or something. Hope this helps some. And remember, don't rush things. :thumbsup:

3. MisterBeet

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Okay, thanks. That helps. I'm not really planning on telling them soon, it's just that I want to really badly. But If they ever found out or asked me about it, I have a pretty decent discussion mapped out in my head. And some websites to show them. But I really don't want to feel so distanced from them anymore.

4. n8i2c7k

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i'm not out yet so i dont know how much merit my thoughts have, but seeing as how you're still not sure about how your parents will react, it would probably be a good idea not to mention a relationship just yet. i mean if they ask and you have to tell them then i guess there's no choice but you should first let it sink in that you're gay. then after they've accepted that for a while (assuming they will) then you can let on that you're in a relationship...just a thought.

oh and welcome to EC :smilewave

5. MisterBeet

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah, I wasn't going to say anything about him. He's barely out. And my parents and his parents are like this. *insert gesture with pointer and middle finger here*

6. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi and welcome to EC! :slight_smile:

As Gerry mentioned, considering that you are only 13, take your time. There is no rush. Do you have any indications as to how your parents think about homosexuality in general? That will give you some clues as to how they might react. Sometimes, it is easier to start with brothers/sisters. Do you have any brothers or sisters?

Yes, it can feel awkward at times and you might feel some 'distance' between you and your parents, but sometimes it is better to wait and not to rush into things. Try telling yourself that while you might not be able to come out to them at this point, you can still talk with them and do all the other things that you would normally do.

Having come out to friends, feeling comfortable with who you are and starting to build the support network is important as it will allow you to gain confidence in coming out to your parents. With time, you will be able to come out to them.

Hope this helps!

7. MisterBeet

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks! That really helps. I do have a sister, but she's made it clear on her opinions about homosexuality. Not very positive. And my parents haven't given any real indicators as to if they'll abandon me or embrace me or somewhere between. But one thing I know is they will be very confused and emotional. They're religious and conservative republicans, If that gives you any ideas as to what they would think. But the outlook does not look very sunny.

8. lordjord96

you have a number of years to come out to family it may take a while. do it when your ready.

9. aaaaaa

aaaaaa Guest

As many others have said, you have quite a bit of time ahead of you that you'll be living with your parents and you shouldn't really rush to come out. However, you did say you're not entirely sure of your parents' opinions on homosexuality-- just listen to what they say if the topic ever comes up on the TV, on the radio, in the paper, etc. to gauge where they stand. I'd suggest waiting awhile before coming out, though.

And, by the way, welcome to EC! :thumbsup:

10. thugbuster245

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    MisterBeet,

I've read your posts, and you seem like a very intelligent and bright young man. I think it is absolutely wonderful that you have been doing your homework and planning for the conversation that you will one day have with your parents. It is also awesome that you have some websites in your arsenal that you plan on suggesting to them if need be. You are very smart and well organized. Listen to what Asteroid and the others are telling you and don't rush things. You're only 13, and you have plenty of time. We all know how badly you want to be out (we've all either been there or are still there), but timing is everything. Good luck to you my friend! :thumbsup: