1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why must I wait

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Danielle, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Danielle

Danielle Guest

I finally get my parent to stop denying that fact I am transgender but for nothing.

No support which means no parental consent which means no hormones which really pisses me off.

The two people that I thought that would always support me don't and without them I am f**ked until I turn eighteen. I can't wait that long the whole reason I talked to them again about it is I can't wait at all. I hate my parents they have no right to tell me what is right for me and what to do with my body they have no idea about how I feel about my body.

It wasn't even like I was going to make them pay for it I was going to get a job and pay for everything myself. I have given them no reason to not let me go ahead with it but they say no for no reason. I just want to be me is there anything wrong with that.

2. Geist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well that really sucks from your point of view. But try looking from their point of view. You are their kid and your only 15 now I don't doubt that you are full aware of who you are but they still probably have their doubts. Not because they don't love you or anything but because they are still warming up to the idea. And asking them to approve you getting hormones is a serious step for them to take and they are scared.

Be happy that you have come as far as you have but don't hate them for what they are doing. Try to understand where they are coming from and try to change their mind. Don't just think they are intolerant or don't want you to be happy but the simple fact is they probably think it is a phase. Every parent goes through this give them some time and try to understand them just hating them will accomplish nothing.

3. awesomeap88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Unfortunately, I think your parents are trying to do what they think is best for you, whether it is right or not. I suspect that they think this is still some sort of phase and that you will "grow out" of it some time in the next few years. In other words: I think they might still be in denial.

While this period in your life is very difficult, it is also very difficult on your parents. They have to comprehend that their son, who they have raised in the expectation of becoming a man, doesn't want to become a man and would rather be their daughter and become a woman. That is difficult for any parent to comprehend.

It sucks that you won't be able to acess hormones and get the treatment started. Of course it is your body, your choice but while you are under the care of your parents, they are obliged to do what they think is in the best interests of their children and they think saying no to hormones is in your best interests, which it isn't in your case. In the mean time, I suggest seeing a counsellor or something and see what they can do. Three years may seem like a long time, but you will find it goes by quicker than you think and you just never know, your parents might even come around before then and permit you to start hormones.

I'm not trying to defend your parents, but I think they still need more time.

I hope that helps. (*hug*) I'm not very good at this advice-giving stuff.

4. Danielle

Danielle Guest

I can see how they could think it was a phase if it hadn't been over the period that it was but I first told them in April it is now November.

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You'll have to wait for the same reason you can't do a lot of things right now - simply because you're underage. At this age, you can't get a tattoo or drive a car or countless other things. And it's not a random, killjoy sort of thing. These tend to be big, life-altering things which one can't undo easily if at all. Your particular situation perhaps the biggest of all. :slight_smile: So the world wants to make sure you're mature enough to have thought about all the ramifications of these things. Yeah, some people are NEVER mature enough, but by age 18, most are.

Lex

6. Psychedelic Bookmarks

As Lexington says, you have to look at it from the world's perespective. Taking hormones is an irrevocable, life-changing decision, especially if you take them as an adolescent. Most of us just aren't ready to make that kind of decision, whether about hormones, tattoos, drinking alcohol, getting married, voting, etc, until we're a bit older. You may be sure that it is right for you but the only way to prove that is to stay the course a while. (*hug*) Try and enjoy your life and not let it consume you until that time. Also, you have given your parents 7 months, which has perhaps seemed like an age to you, but to your parents, that's nothing. They've been watching you grow for 15 years, this is a big thing to take in so quickly, especially because you are so young. So although it obviously hurts you, you have to try and see it from their perspective - they just don't want you to make a decision you'll regret (*hug*) (*hug*)

7. Miles D

(*hug*)
    yeah, it sucks majorly. I mean, everyone else gets to be themselves and feel comfortable doing everyday things, while we are uncomfortable and hate our bodies.
    You just need to keep letting your parents know you haven't changed your mind, and that it's not a phase, and let them know how hard it is for you just to get out of bed and know how you are perceived isn't how you feel inside.
    :slight_smile:

8. Jim1454

While April to November might seem like an eternity to someone that is 15, it's hardly any time at all in the world of a parent, and NOT a very long time to allow someone to fully digest that their daughter wants to become a son.

You need to give your parents a break and accept the fact that you need to wait to start this proceedure. Simply accept it. Because even if your parents did approve, I doubt very much that a doctor would start the process with you at this young age.

9. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Have you seen a doctor about this already? Your parents might need a professional assessment to convince them that this is right for you.