1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm telling my mom today...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by jaina, Feb 10, 2015.

1. jaina

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm coming out to my mom today. If anyone has advice it is highly appshrated.

2. YermanTom

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I presume you have read lots of the coming stories here and watched the endless "coming out" videos on YouTube. I found those helped me.
    I'm not trans but I came across this YouTube channel that I found this trans guy very inspiring "TheRealAlexBertie" I hope you find him useful.
    Best of luck.

3. jaina

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    just had a panic attack. maybe i shouldn't tell my mom? i have no idea. but I'm seriouly freaking. its nothing i did is it? I'm shacking so bad right now, I'm so scared.

4. Wildside

Wildside Guest

take some really deep breaths. deeply in. deeply out. breath out the stress and anxiety, and everything toxic. breath in the energy from the entire universe. be sure that one of the first things that you say is "Mom, I'm bi." don't ramble on with lots of explanations before you say that, and after you say it, pause a moment for it to set in. and you may need to repeat it a few times in the discussion (in ways like "the first time I realized I'm bi... ; Being bi really makes me feel like I need your love and support more than ever... ; etc). Good luck!

5. PossumJack

Hey Jaina! Coming out is a very scary experience, especially with parents. The important thing is to take it at your own pace! If you're seriously scared then there's absolutely nothing wrong with taking your time and collecting your thoughts. Remember, this is likely a life-changing moment and it's always a good idea to be calm and prepared when coming out.

If it's the thought of talking to your mom face-to-face that scares you, maybe you can write a letter instead. I personally prefer coming out with a letter because it gives you all the time you need to think about what you want her to know. The first letter should be not too long, telling her what you're going through and a brief explanation of what transgender means. It's important to remind her that you love her, and that you're still the exact same person inside.

Finally, I just have to add that your safety should *always* come first. If you don't think your mother will take it well and might do something drastic such as kicking you out, then unfortunately it's safer to not come out for now.

YermanTom mentioned TheRealAlexBertie, who's a great YouTuber on trans* topics. He's FTM but made a great video giving general advice about how to come out.

Good luck! (*hug*)

6. ElasticElephant

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I came out last Christmas Eve to my entire family. It was INCREDIBLY nerve-racking. A lot of people will tell you that you should wait until you're fully comfortable but the hard truth is, you'll never truly be comfortable about it so I think it's good to just get it over with. Goodluck and don't back out! :grin: