1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to come out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by My True Self, Feb 10, 2015.

1. My True Self

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I already came out to one person but I don't know how to even start telling other people. I'm shy, have social anxiety and am depressed :dry: so I have trouble talking to most people. What should I do? :help: I feel like I'm lying when I talk to people I'm not out to. :bang:

2. blue6

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    You do not HAVE to come out everybody you know. It is a completely personal decision and up to you entirely. If you want to come out to someone, maybe you could hint at it, or even do it in a casual way. Maybe do it in an environment where you feel comfortable and safe (ie one to one over a cuppa tea)

Best of luck, I too am extremeley shy so I know what that feels like. The only person IMO who needs to know is your (potential) partner. Everyone else, it is totally up to you if you tell them

3. Wildside

Wildside Guest

no need to come out to everyone. and no reason to feel like you're lying if you're not lying. If you were making homophobic comments, or snyde remarks about how you think some other person is gay, then you would have reason to feel that way, and you could change it. But just the fact that you haven't told someone says nothing more than you had no reason to share that very personal bit of information with them. How many people in your class have brought up the fact that they masturbate? but I can guarantee you that many of them do. does that make them all liars because they haven't told you? abslutely not. that's personal stuff. (&&&)

4. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You shouldn't feel like you're lying to people. It's your personal business. But I do understand how you feel about social anxiety and depression. My sister suffers from social anxiety; so badly that she only trusts me. And we both have suffered from depression. It's hard. She told me that she feels like people are talking about her and that their intentions aren't genuine. Is this how you feel?

I think you should only tell the people you trust and who are dearest to you. That's what I did. And I feel a lot better. :slight_smile:

5. YermanTom

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Before I became comfortable with myself I was super shy and awkward, like a clumsy Woody Allen but without being funny. Now that I’m happier with being me and out to a few people I’m socially more confident.
    As with anything in life, things run smother when you decide what pace and direction is right for you. The best way of coming out is to do it when, where, and to whom you feel comfortable with.
    You don’t have to come out to the world all at once, just one person at a time, when the moment feels right.
    Take it at a pace that feels right for you.
    (*hug*)

6. My True Self

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay