1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I came out and nothing has changed?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Bonaparte, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Bonaparte

Bonaparte Guest

I came out to my entire class a week or so ago as trans, and it just frustrates me that nothing has changed except they try to avoid conversation with me a bit more. My teacher said when she told them the reaction wasn't negative necessarily just a really long awkward silence and then like a look like "oh that's what is must be." I wasn't there because I wanted them to ask questions and be more open and thought my presence would interfere with that, but it's just been complete avoidance. I'm usually quiet, and I've been putting effort into being social, and even though we don't have a lot of the same mutual interests, tying to have conversations with people. I've been out to my parents for three years and my dad doesn't talk to me at all, and my mom is now starting to mess up pronouns all the time, so I don't understand why this is continually failing.

2. Wildside

Wildside Guest

Maybe they just aren't sure how they are supposed to react. Remember that there is no guidebook for them, and they are acting as individuals who each feel a little confused. Could you be a little more proactive in reaching out to them, just being another student, and letting people know on an individual basis that it's OK not to completely understand this, but that you would be happy to talk to them about it? even if you're an introvert, it may take some extra effort.

3. Brandiac

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In front of the entire class? Well that takes some courage right there! Truth be told, it could've gone so much worse... the good thing is you do not have a group of angry villagers trying to hunt you down with pitchforks now so that's definitely a good sign. I say if some time passes it'll sink in people's minds and become just another fact and nothing more. Nothing to hurt you for (well not that they really do now)

4. musicman1982

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi Bonaparte,

I agree with Wildside that it's a big thing to process and understand for some people. I know it wasn't the outcome you wanted, most people when they come out get bullied. At least you had an outcome that wasn't negative. As Wildside said, if people want to ask you questions on an individual basis, it's probably better that way. You have to remember most people don't want to talk about their sexual orientation due to a number of reasons, if you get someone wanting to speak to you and they ask you questions, that's great. It's great that you stood up and came out in a very admireable fashion and it was in the way that you wanted. You have to remember people may not be as brave as you, it's good to know that you are the leader and setting an excellent example. When showing who you are, your true essence, you don't have to make the biggest fanfare about it or climb mount mverest, just be you. That is what people want to see and will naturally respond to, I hope this helps?

#4 musicman1982, Feb 11, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2015