1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm planning to come out. any advice?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by SeanR, Nov 4, 2008.

1. SeanR

SeanR Guest

hello :smilewave, I'm new here, but not new to the idea of being gay.

ok, a little background

when I was 7, a teacher suggested I had Asperger's syndrome. my mother had the teacher reported for giving a medical opinion when she was only a teacher. a doctor confirmed I had a low level aspergers.
    from memory, I've had gay thoughts when I was 8, but never showed it of course.
    I only ever had two friends that were girls, first when I was 7, but moved school.
    then I made friends with another at 8, but going from primary to secondary school made us lose contact.

I was about 11 when I learnt what gay meant, and realised I was gay.
    I was sure I was gay throughout my life since I was 11, but it didn't seem so serious at the time.

now at 15, I have a very small selection of friends which are all boys (I am not attracted to any of them :lol:slight_smile:, all with interests in computers or video games like me.
    I'm also going through all the tests and coursework I have to do in order to achieve my hopeful job.
    my mum has said to me and my sister (11 now) more than once that she'd accept us if we were gay, so she may know about me, but I'm not sure :confused:
    I haven't come out to anyone, and due to the asperger's, I have very bad social skills

ok, now the main point

I've wanted to tell my family about me being gay for ages, but never have so far.
    I don't want to ask my parents as they aren't homophobic, but do sometimes joke about it when watching gay movies but it was a comedy.

anyway, I was hoping to come out to my cousin first. she's just turned 18 and seems sensible. I believe she is straight, unless she too is hiding anything, but I doubt it.

I was wondering when the best time would be to tell her, and how to tell her?
    I am 15 (16 in mid-may), so should I come out to her after I turn 16?
    If I don't tell her by next september, she will be in university, probably not coming round here much.

so I need to decide this year, and with all the coursework and exams this year, it seems logical to try and organise it now and not leave it until when I need to focus on studying.

so, as I have aspergers, I cannot even begin to think about how I can do this, let alone doing it :icon_sad:

any tips on when I should?
    and should I tell her considering she's at college doing important work?
    and even more importantly, how can I? email? face to face?

2. thugbuster245

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi Sean!

You said:
    Mothers know a lot of things that we think they don't know. She probably does have suspicions about you, and that is her way of letting you know that she'll love you regardless. Consider it a blessing. However, even though she seems accepting now, there will still be some shock factor. She might be suspecting that you are gay, but when you confirm her suspicions, she will still have to have time to completely come to terms with it. Remember how long it took you to figure it out; it'll be new to her, and she'll need some time to digest it all too.

Coming out to your cousin first might be a good idea just as long as she knows how to keep her mouth shut. You want to be able to come out on your own terms and when the time is right for you. Only you know your cousin. If she's sensible, trustworthy, supportive, and can keep a secret, I say go for it. If not, abort mission and regroup.

I don't see where six and a half months is going to make any difference at all. Do it when and how it feels most comfortable to you. If you express yourself better by writing things, then send an e-mail, but if you tell things better face-to-face, then perhaps that is the approach that you shoud take.

To sum up my advice, trust your gut feeling. No one can tell you EXACTLY when and how you should come out; everybody's story is different. Two websites that you can recommend to your family and cousin when you do decide to come out to them are www.pflag.org and www.familyacceptance.org
    Both are wonderful websites and are very educational. I wish you the best of luck my friend!! :thumbsup:

3. SeanR

SeanR Guest

so she has suspicions?
    well, to be honest I thought she did :confused:

my cousin is sensible and can keep a secret, so I think they'll be easiest to tell, I just wasn't sure. I think I'll do it by email if possible. face to face seems to unnerving for me :icon_sad:
    thanks for the advice :smilewave

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC! :wave:

The best bet is direct, especially with people who appear to be able to handle it well. A good rule of thumb is this - people tend to take their cues from you. If you treat your homosexuality like a huge awful secret, if you pull them aside with tears in your eyes and say "I have to tell you something but you have to SWEAR not to tell anyone else!", if you build it up for five minutes and then whisper "I'm gay" with your hands over your eyes...well, they're going to take the news the same way. They'll treat it like it's a horrible thing, as well.

But if you're more matter-of-fact about it, if you say "Could I talk to you about something?", if you phrase it like "I've known I was gay for several years, and I think it's time I start telling people", maybe adding "I'm still working on telling other people, and I'd rather they hear it from me", then they'll accept it as no big deal.

Lex

5. SeanR

SeanR Guest

the thing is, I know that if I do try to talk to them, I'll just freeze up and try to change the conversation to something else. like stage fright (which I also have :icon_sad:slight_smile:
    the problem is, I'm very shy, and (unlike others my age) rarely even swear, so to say "I'm gay" to them directly would be very hard to do, especially when I do have social problems. :icon_sad:

6. lordjord96

dont email do it face-to-face and go at your own payst dont go ihavetotellyouimgay:eusa_sick really really fast and dont go i-a-m-g-a-y well you could but it might be sort of uncumftalbe so go at your own payst. and if you do tell her start of with "i need to tell you something important..." good luck!:icon_wink

7. SeanR

SeanR Guest

I would try to, but I wouldn't be able to.
    every time I'd try, I'd freeze up or change the subject.
    don't get me wrong, I want to tell them. it's just that I won't be able to.:icon_sad:
    and that's my main problem.

8. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The what you might try doing is writing everything out in a short note, and handing it to them. Then stay there while they read it. They'll understand why you're donig it that way.

Lex

9. Peter

You could also consider asking them rather than telling them. It might make it easier on you. Something along the lines of "just out of curiosity, how would you react if you found out I was gay?" Take your time and think carefully about how you will react. You might be surprised by their reaction. I came out to someone whom I thought had already worked it out and had been dropping hints at me; apparently she had not and it was I reading into what she said and did, she was completely shocked and dismayed by the whole thing.

10. SeanR

SeanR Guest

I could possibly do that, though I don't know when I would.
    she does sometimes sleep round our house, so do you think that would be a good chance?

again, I would freeze up
    I don't think I'd be able to say it, as I would avoid it and try to change the subject. :icon_sad:

#10 SeanR, Nov 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2008
  11. acorn7

I totally agree with Lex. This would be a good compromise between telling her in person and writing an email.

As for when to do it, here's my advice: do it when you're both alone, and know you will be for a little while, so you can talk about it without anyone eavesdropping or interrupting. Basically, a time and place you feel comfortable with.

12. SeanR

SeanR Guest

ok, so only when I'm alone :slight_smile:
    that'll be fairly hard, but I'll probably try that.

13. Kryz

Totally go for it!!

You seem to trust your cousin, so if after knowing her for a lifetime you trust her, I think she must be the first one.

You've got some AMAZING advices up here, you should follow one or all of them. Just be REALLY CLEAR about some points, such as the secret this is, how hard it's for you to do this, & how much you trust her; so she can act according to the circumpstances.

Best of lucks

14. SeanR

SeanR Guest

all today I've been thinking about how to word it, trying so see which sounds best.
    could someone just tell me what to write first? I'm rubbish at starting things that are important :icon_sad:

15. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! If you have already something, post it on the board and we'll have a look at it. If you are still making changes to it, you could perhaps write something along the lines of:

"I know I can trust you with this. You are the 'first one' (if this is the case) to whom I am telling this. I have known that you are gay (or you can also say I like and an attracted to boys/guys) for some time now. I'm very sure of it. I needed to share it with someone. I don't want to hide this part of my life anymore."

If you want also add Lex's sentence "I'm still working on telling other people, and I'd rather they hear it from me" at the end.

I hope this helps a bit. Feel free to post something as well.

16. SeanR

SeanR Guest

thanks :icon_bigg I'll post my first letter ASAP :slight_smile:

17. SeanR

SeanR Guest

how's this?

18. SeanR

SeanR Guest

any comments? :icon_sad:

19. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's a good start, but let me make some suggestions, if I may. That's all these are - suggestions. If you prefer your way, by all means, go for it. :slight_smile:

"if you are reading this, I must've finally got the courage to give you this."

I think this gets things off on the wrong foot, on two fronts.

The only notes that start off with "If you are reading this" are notes with really bad news. You don't ever see "If you're reading this, I need to let you know that I bought you that bike for your birthday." It more often reads, "If you're reading this, it's because my assault on the Delta Five Omega base was unsuccessful..." :slight_smile: Secondly, it's very impersonal. It sounds like you're handing the same note to a bunch of different people. It'd be best if you could personalize it for each person. It doesn't have to be hugely different, but even a "Sam - we've been friends for many years, and I'm really happy you're in my life" would be great. It'll make them feel more special that you're trusting them with this piece of information.

"You are the first one I'm telling this to."

Obviously, this is only going to be true once. That's fine if you want to use it for that one person, but it may be best if you kept it more generic, and removed any hint of a "race". ("He told me second!") "I think it's important at this point to start telling the important people in my life..."

"I am gay. I have known I was gay for some time now. I'm very sure of it. I needed to share it with someone. I don't want to hide this part of my life anymore."

This part is quite good, although the "needed" part might be better phrased like I did above.

"I have known I was gay when I was 8, but never showed it. I only knew what the word for it was when I was 11, and since then, I've been certain about it."

Nothing wrong with this part, but then again, it doesn't really add much except history to the note. You can either leave it in or take it out, your choice.

"I know this is probably a shock to you, and I'm not entirely eager to see your reaction, but you seemed the best person to tell first."

A couple issues here. For instance, you don't know if it'll be a shock. For all you know, they guessed long ago. (You'd be surprised how many people have, for all of us.) And you don't want to give them a guilt trip about their reaction. Yeah, we'd all love it if they just gave us a hug and a smile, but people are going to respond how they're gonna respond. What matters isn't how they feel - they can't help that - but how they act. If they look shocked or confused or even disgusted, that's OK as long as they say "Well, I'll still be your friend."

"this won't change anything about me, I will still be the same person I have been.
    I'm still working on telling other people, and I'd rather they hear it from me, so please let me tell everyone else."

Good, but you might want to alter the end a bit. Bring them on board. "Perhaps you can help me work on how to tell others." And leave the door open. As tough as it may be, you'll probably want to add "If you want to talk about this at all, let me know." If they're gonna be by your side, they have a write to find out more about it. You may have to write your answers to their questions, but that's cool. :slight_smile:

Lex

20. SeanR

SeanR Guest

is this better?
    the "jokes aside" part is added because we do joke with each other a lot, so this could seem like a joke to her.