1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Don't know when to come out...?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by lyf, Feb 11, 2015.

1. lyf

lyf

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I originally planned on coming out to my parents some time after HS graduation and before leaving for college. However, my family and I will be abroad the day after graduation till mid-July, then come back home with my relatives till early-August when we all leave on a roadtrip to my college which opens late-August. I simply cannot drag my extended family into this ordeal; I want to come out privately to my immediate family without making turning it into this huge "scandal" with all of my relatives. (I come from an extremely close, socially conservative family with many aunts, uncles, grandmas, grandpas, great-aunts, great-uncles, dozens of cousins, etc. You get the image.)

I feel like I'm just delaying this further and further until someday my parents find out through other people (or I accidentally give them a hint), which I absolutely don't want to happen. Should I explore the waters (my college is LGBT-friendly and has an LGBT support group) before saying anything drastic? Maybe I'll meet someone there, and maybe then I'll force myself to stop playing chicken? (I feel like my parents are one of those people that would say "you're going through a phrase" lest I actually show them I'm being serious i.e. actual dating) Any advice on the right time to come out based on your personal experiences?

2. Lyana

You're still young. There's no rush. If you want to come out and feel comfortable doing it, then you should. If not, there's nothing wrong with waiting a little, settling in on campus, maybe meeting some LGBT people at college to whom you can talk to about this.