1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out Letter To Parents As Trans

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by sugarman, Feb 12, 2015.

1. sugarman

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I want to come out to my mam and figured the best way would be to write a letter, take a look and tell me what you think and if I should add or remove anything.

I need to tell you something and I've tried to tell you face to face but I keep chickening out cos I don't know how you'll react and I'll more than likely struggle with words like I normally do, so the best way to tell you is to write it down.

Before I tell you, please don't hate me or get angry or disown me, I'm still the same person I've always been, I just finally want to be at peace with myself, cos this thing I've been keeping inside me for years has been eating me alive every day, it's why I'm socially awkward with people, why I suffer from anxiety and often depression/sadness (whatever way you want to put it). You've often told me I can tell you anything and you'll still love me and I hope that's true cos what I'm about to tell you isn't easy for me and I'm not sure how you'll react. They say all a parent wants is for their child to be happy; emotionally, mentally and physically, so I hope you'll still love me after I tell you this and you'll support me.

Since as far back as I can remember, when I was 7/8, all I wanted was to be one of the boys, which I'm pretty sure I've said over the years, I even remember saying it in my teens. I've always wanted to dress in guy clothes, I've never felt comfortable in girl clothing, always played with action figures, I know I played with barbies but I preffered the action figures, I've always kinda done guy things, I've basically always wanted to be a guy. But I passed it off as one of those tomboy things. Sure I've had a few "encounters" with men but I was never really comfortable acting like a girl for example at then hen, I was really uncomfortable but then I went and sat with [name] and [name] and I was more at ease with myself for the 2 hours or whatever it was, and ya I kissed [name] and whatever but that was just messing around cos the more thought I have put into all of this the more I realize was never sexually attracted to any of the guys in my life, I was attracted in a sense that I wanted to be them, or look somewhat like them.

So what I'm basically trying to say is, I'm transgender. Now I understand this may be hard for you to come to terms with and if you want to take some time to sit and think that's ok, but it would be really great if you were somewhat ok with this if you're not totally fine with it rather than being totally against it

Just know that I love you

[name]

How do u think I should give it to her I was thinking of just leaving it on the table in my house and while I'm gone off to college she'll get it, I could leave some message in it that says if she's cool with it to just send me a small text message or something...

2. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Sugarman. The main thing is that it comes from the heart and is written in your own words and I think it ticks both of those boxes just fine. The only suggestion I would make is that you try to make the purpose of your letter clear within the first paragraph. I can understand your reasoning for the long explanation, but as it stands you only confirm that you are trans in the final paragraph. I think it would be better to say it sooner, rather than later. What do you think?

I think it will be fine to leave it on the table with the message, providing nobody else will get to it first.

Hope it goes well for you. Will you let us know?

3. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I think its good... (*hug*)

it builds up suspense, which is resolved in the end...

Well you know them best, so its up to you what to say... you have the best feeling for it...

I would include a description of body disphoria before the last chapter...
    maybe that you feel really happy when you can express yourself in a male way, with hairstyle for example...
    something along those lines...

if you look for materials to show, here is a pdf you might think about:
    When things

Here is another resource you might think about showing, maybe later:
    http://www.acceptingdad.com/
    -> To the Unicorn’s Dad

And you might have a look here:
    Welcome to TENI
    and here:
    Mermaids

hugs

#3 jay777, Feb 13, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  4. sugarman

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I finally did it! (!)

I couldn't go through with the letter I tried giving it to my mam loads of times and it was really starting to affect me emotionally :tears: so I sent it in a facebook message last night. :thumbsup:

She didn't message back though... :eek:

She did however like my change of profile picture so I'm guessing she's going to be kinda ok with it... :confused:

5. AgnisFlame

Well you're braver than I am I've been working on my letter for about 2 weeks what with play practice and everything (I was a Lost Boy:slight_smile:) I'm hopefully going to give it to them sometime after prom.