1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out halfway

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by FrereApothicair, Feb 12, 2015.

1. FrereApothicair

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm thinking about coming out as transgender to my dad. I don't like how much of my life I spend lately feeling like I'm not being honest with him. I wonder, though, if it might be better to only "sort of" come out-- like, "Hey, Dad, I'm having weird feelings about gender, and it's been going on for a couple of years now, and I don't think it's normal for most people to have these feelings for so long and to the intensity that I have been (I mean, you said yourself that you've never questioned your gender--but I have, a lot). I don't know how to deal with these feelings, and so I wanted to talk to you about it."

What do you guys think? Bad idea? He was super chill when I came out as a lesbian, but I'm worried this will go differently.

Also, I'm off at Uni right now-- should I wait and do it in person, or would a phone call or email work better...? :help:

2. YermanTom

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd probably do it in person, but that just me.
    The way you phrased it is honest and, to me, perfect your dad seems to be cool enough to be able to talk to about anything.
    One caveat: I’m only gay I’ve no experience of the whole “trans” thing. I know you guys go through hell.
    I hope things go well for you!