1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tomorrow should be... interesting. I'm going to see a psychologist or psychiatrist?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Mind Freak, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Mind Freak

I don't know the difference if there is one, don't laugh at my ignorance. Lol. Anyway tomorrow is the day I get to go see the therapist person... my mom's idea.

I really don't want to go. I told my mom about my being bi and she said she wanted me to see a therapist to sort out my feelings. I don't know what that's supposed to mean, and I hate being in the dark about stuff so I'm dyin here. Lol. I obviously don't have a choice.

Anyway I just hope he's not all religious or anything I think that would be the worst thing that could happen. But I'm going to try and keep an open mind about it and hopefully walk away with something added to my library of knowledge. *sigh*

Wish me luck!

But I do have something to look forward to;; I get to discuss the presidental stuff with friends tomorrow! Not really anything to look forward to but hey, gotta live for something!

2. Astaroth

Re: Tomorrow should be... interesting. I'm going to see a psychologist or psychiatris

The major difference between a psychologist and a psychiatrist is that a psychiatrist has an additional medical degree that allows them to prescribe medication to their patients whereas a psychologist cannot. Otherwise, they're just about the same. Ethically, a therapist is supposed to be non-partisan in any patient matters. They are there to help you get to the bottom of problems and to talk through things. Since you're going anyway, you might as well use the time constructively. You can talk about your sexuality and resolve any internal conflicts if you have them. Otherwise, it will simply allow you to reaffirm yourself to yet another person at the very least. And if your therapist isn't working out for some reason, it is a purely optional thing. You can always request a different one. My parents offered me the same thing when I came out. They did it just to make sure I wasn't feeling down or depressed as well. As long as your mom didn't react badly in and of itself, she's probably just worried about you in general. Parents tend to do that. :icon_wink

3. spellbound118

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: Tomorrow should be... interesting. I'm going to see a psychologist or psychiatris

I had to go to a psychologist last week too. It's just boring really, they talk to you about a load of rubbish, your past and stuff. Although admitedly i did find it helped, to have someone objective to talk to. So you might find it's a help to you, just be honest and it should help =]

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

What's the difference? $50 an hour.

[​IMG]

My advice? Treat your therapist like a friend you can tell ANYTHING to. If you have any doubts or any issues you're working on, feel free to tell him. Don't try to hide things or pretend everything's fine. Because THAT will be an indication that something's wrong. We're all working on issues in our lives, and telling him/her about them just shows you're a normal, average person.

Lex

5. littledinosaurs

I would find out everything about them before revealing anything.
    First most, is everything you guys say private? or is your therapist gonna report to your parent? If its not Confidential i wouldn't say anything.
    Find out what this therapist Normally does, is it just a genearl therapy or do they speicalize in treating certian types of people? it can help give you the truth sense of why you are there.
    have fun with your terapist.
    If you find that they're not confidential but you still wanna talk to someone try talking to your school's social worker; they have to keep everything confidential unless you are hurting someone, yourself or being hurt.

6. Mind Freak

I ended up not going;; he got sick.
    This will be the 2nd time rescheduling.

I was actually ready. Oh well. : )

I'm not complaining.

7. cm25

cm25 Guest

ya I'm in the same situation my mom is bringing me to a therapist soon so I'm going to use it to my advantage I guess. Also my mom said if I go she'll go too so atleast it helps her too, in turn helping me haha.

8. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

Absolutely. Before you say anything else to them, read their confidentiality policy and then ask them in person exactly what they are allowed to reveal to others. I'm not saying to cover yourself up, but know where this therapist stands in terms of confidential matters.