1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to make my family know its no phase?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by joshy the queen, Feb 13, 2015.

1. joshy the queen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My whole family think that im going through a phase that they all had romantic same sex feelings during their teenager and that i gave it too much attention it turned out to be like this and that a doctor can solve this and make me
    normal
    Please give me something to help them understand this something scientiftic to show them the truth

2. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Empty Closets - For Parents
    The credible scientific literature, the American Psychological Association, the American Psychiatric Association, and the National Association of Social Workers are all completely clear on this issue: Sexual orientation is fixed very early in life, likely before birth, but certainly before 5 years of age. In an exhaustive review of the literature examining every study done in the past 50 years, the APA found that there was no credible evidence that sexual orientation is a choice, that it can be changed, or that so-called "reparative therapy" is effective in altering an individual's sexual orientation.

So called therapies lead to repression, which leads to unhappiness.

Gay people have always beem around, in all cultures.
    http://emptyclosets.com/forum/chit-...fo-you-got-ec-helped-you-accept-yourself.html

You could say that your orientation is only a part of you, that you are still the same... your humour etc...

3. musicman1982

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi joshy_the_queeny,

I looked at your message. You can take or leave my advice, as you have stated your age. I am assuming you are still in high school. The best thing to do is to let them think what they think and concentrate on what is important, the first thing to do when you leave school, which are you most formative years is to get yourself established and settled into a life where you will be supported and that you have a close circle of friends that will be there for you, regardless of the situation that you find yourself in with your parents, IF! It works out that way, this might be during college/school or even when you finished studying. I am not saying supress it, because when you are college you will have a deeper understanding and you will be deal with your parents when the situation arises, I know you want to be out and proud. You have to remember you have your life ahead of you, I know it's cheesy. But once you made a life for yourself, you will show indefinitely that it's not a phase. Because it's your business and nobody else's.

4. guitar

Personally, I would compare being LGBT to being left handed (or right handed). It's not something you choose. It comes naturally and going against it causes a lot of frustration.

I would highly recommend the movie Prayers for Bobby and the documentary Brainwash: Gay/Straight. Both for yourself and your family so they can get a fuller picture of what it means to be gay and why it isn't a choice/phase.