1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cousins pushing me away - please help

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by spoopy365, Feb 13, 2015.

1. spoopy365

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    hi! i'm a bisexual female and i have a big family. i'm very close to two of my cousins, 'riley' and 'dylan' (fake names of course), who are siblings. we all follow each other on social media, where i haven't been shy about the fact that i'm bi, but it's never brought up in discussion. it also helps that i'm in a relationship with a male partner

a few days ago, i noticed dylan made a tweet using the word f*g. when i told him he shouldn't use that word, he gave me the 'my best friend is gay so you can't get mad at me' card. when i said that i am bisexual and that slur makes me uncomfortable, he told me to shut up, that he wanted to punch me in the face for being stupid, and blocked me. he unblocked me a few hours later, but hasn't talked to me since

yesterday, i noticed that riley removed me from Facebook and instagram. i think dylan outed me to her. my biggest fear is that she will out me to our grandparents and possibly to my dad, who i am not out to yet. she also has two kids that i love very much, and i'm afraid she might never let me be around them because of my sexuality

neither of them, or anyone in my family for that matter, has expressed any homophobic views before, so this is quite a shock to me. i need advice on how to deal with this situation - my family has always been close, and i don't want to lose them. thank you so much!

2. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Just telling my opinion, its up to you what you do since you know them best...
    You could have a look here:
    your orientation is not a choice, so its neither your nor for example your parents upbringing fault..
    Empty Closets - For Parents
    ->The credible scientific literature ...

You could write an email explaining openly...
    or call her...

and to him I'd write a mail...

You could say that you noticed that she is not connected with you on facebook any more...
    and that you wonder if it has someting to do with your stating your preference there...

you could say that your orientation is not a choice, and that you are still the same person...
    that there is something like a kinsey scale, and that its a real preference on a spectrum...

and that personal reliability or being faithful in a partnership has nothing to do with orientation...
    (its like people liking partners with blonde hair and red hair for accusing wanting both at the same time...)
    and that there are very faithful people in all kinds of partnerships...

( and maybe its not the 60s any more :slight_smile: )

You could call later, making it no big deal... first trying to socialize...

Depending on how the reaction is you might ask later for not telling further persons...

hugs

#2 jay777, Feb 13, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2015