1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

They already know?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by clockworkfox, Feb 13, 2015.

1. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've been really making strides over the past year. I would say I am generally at peace with myself, I've been seeing a theraist, I'm hoping to start a medical transition within the year, I started going to local trans support meetings. The first meeting I went to, I mentioned not being out to my parents yet. I got a unanimous response: "they already know".

I was sort of taken back by that suggestion.

I've been dressing in guy's clothes for a few years now, but I never pass, and I was told I dress "androgynously" on multiple occasions, or that I could dress "more masculine" if I want to be perceived that way. I've been cutting my hair short for ages - it hasn't grown past my shoulders in over half a decade. But a lot of female individuals dress neutrally. Could that really be enough for them to know something's up? I did get identified as a transboy before once, at a club - I was told I was obviously not a lesbian (which doesn't stop most people, including my dad, from deciding I must be a lesbian). I feel like the fact that my dad asked me at all is a pretty clear indicator that he knows something's up, but I don't see him understanding this. I really don't see either of them understanding this, and I have a hard time believing they might already know I don't identify as female.

Has anybody ever come out as LGBT only to find out their parents already knew?

2. Hizaki

I'm about to talk to one of my parents about it. I know that my mom asked me in the not-so distant past if I was gay (because I don't like dating in general) as a half-joke. My answer was "No!", but I think she still suspects it.

3. Acm

Acm Guest

I think people are more likely to assume lesbian than trans. Everyone thinks I'm a lesbian, and my parents both thought I was before I came out, despite me never showing any interest in women.

4. PossumJack

Same here. Both my mom and my sister asked if I was a lesbian at some point before I came out :eusa_doh:

If you don't pass well, it's likely that your parents would suspect you're gay, just because people aren't as aware of transmen compared to "butch" lesbians.