1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A failed attempt at coming out.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Belle the Bee, Feb 14, 2015.

1. Belle the Bee

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    So yesterday, after months of mental torture, I decided I was going to come out to my twin sister. We were both in the kitchen. I was standing, she was sitting and looking at her phone. I was so nervous, I started to think I was going to pass out
    So I said " Sam, can I talk to you about something?" That wasnt the line I had rehearsed in my head, but that's what I said.
    She looked up at me and said "Ehhh, sounds emotional. Maybe later." Then she walked away.
    I just about died.
    I was totally in shock. I have always been the emotional of the two of us (a sad song comes on; I start crying, she skips it), but I didn't think she'd say that.
    Now I don't know what to do!!?
    Should I attempt it again or maybe come out to my mom first so she can help me?

2. HelloSweetie

It sounds like if you want to try to come out to your sister again you need to try and be as calm as possible (I know that's easier said than done!). Try not to make it sound like something big and scary is coming, that way she may be more receptive to having a conversation. When I came out to my best mate I think she thought I was about to tell her I was dying or something because I was so anxious. If your sister doesn't much like expressions of emotion, that isn't what you want.
    The fact that you tried is a really big step, well done. (*hug*)

3. ANewDawn

I would say you should try again. Tell her it's really important to you that she listen. I'm sure she wouldn't walk away if she understood how much her support meant to you.

4. Randomcloud

Ugh I'm sorry, I hate it when that kind of stuff happens. But you have to persist. I know it seems scary but just try again and don't give her the opportunity to brush it off- what I mean is sit her down when she's not busy and let her know it's important.

5. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian