1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I let people know without straight up telling everyone I'm gay?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by EpicConfusion, Feb 14, 2015.

1. EpicConfusion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess I'm not really "out" yet. My immediate family and a few friends know, but not everybody. I don't act like the gay stereotype so nobody assumes I am. I'm very lonely and I would like to get a boyfriend, but I live in a small town so I'm not so sure that will happen.

How can I let more people know I'm gay without shoving it in their face? I want people to know so potential dates will be aware that I'm available.

2. Randomcloud

I feel ya :frowning2: I don't fit the stereotypes either- so much so that even people I've explicitly come out to don't believe me. I guess the best thing to do is go to the kind of "hangouts" where there is a strong lgbt community (not necessarily a gay bar). Or join a gay rights/support club in your campus. You could also just casually let people know in conversation (like point out "oh that guy is hot" or "I'd better marry a man who can cook because I'm hopeless" xD). Stuff like that. I have little things like rainbow wristbands that are a hint to some. I know people who have taken to ****** when none of the above stuff works- and with great success

3. Lyana

Well, if people assume you're straight, maybe you sometimes get comments like "That girl is so hot," or "How come you don't have a girlfriend?" Both of these are good opportunities to just react and say guys are more your thing. It's not shoving it in their faces, it's being yourself.

Joining an LGBT group is also a good idea, as are "symbols," I agree with Randomcloud.

4. EpicConfusion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can try to make comments like that more. I do wear a rainbow bracelet and I'm in an LGBT group, but the bracelet hasn't ever attracted any comments/attention and my grojp is only about 9 people regularly and 4 of them are straight allies.

5. NewKid87

I'm in your shoes - actually, you're a bit ahead of me coming out because I haven't yet told my parents. But I do relate to your desire for a boyfriend, and I also come across as straight and don't feel comfortable with "shoving it in their face." I assume you've done this already, but have you asked people in your LGBT group if they have gay friends they could introduce to you? It may help widen the network of gay people you know, and it could lead to a boyfriend.

Also, have you considered online dating? I've just begun to wet my feet in that scene, and I know there are a lot of problems with it, but one of the benefits is that you're guaranteed to interact with other gay guys. My understanding is that it's a bit rare to find someone you connect with in this way, but it's another way to expand your circle of gay acquaintances, especially if you live in a small town. (But remember to be safe!)

I hope this helps, and good luck! :slight_smile:

6. EpicConfusion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I actually haven't asked anyone there if they know anybody else I might be interested in meeting because I don't know anyone there very well. If I knew them better I would.

I have thought about online dating, but I would rather not get invloved in that sort of thing until I'm an adult in a few months. I'm just afraid it will be hard to find someone to connect with, as you said. Seems like most of the guys on apps and sites and whatnot, at least from what I hear, are just looking for meaningless sex. I will definitely give it a go once I'm old enough though. Also hopefully it won't be too long until I can move somewhere else where there's more people.