1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Losing hope..

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Ronnie92, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Ronnie92

Today I was talking to my friend and we were discussing discrimination. Well after discussing the African American civil rights movement I brought up gay rights and how they were still fighting. Well after saying that people were trying to take away our right to adopt and get married, the person I called a friend said "so"? That launched me into a full on tirade, and we really got into it. He gave me the usual they can't have kids and well what if I want to marry my dog arguments and I managed to put them both down. Then he said that all gays should just get pets as pets are the only things stupid enough to believe the stuff we say, so I just flat out said "you don't want me to marry if I find a man then". He was shocked because I never told him, and then told me "well, yeah it's just not right" I just had to walk away.

And now I feel incredibly bad.

#1 Ronnie92, Nov 5, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2008
  2. Ruthel

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I almost inadvertently outed myself to three of my acquaintances the same way today, except I wasn't nearly as bold to argue.... It was a terrible feeling to hear them talk about a hypothetical someone who's "just not right", when I was standing right in front of them.

But someone that I really respect said something to me later today that encouraged me immensely, though it was a simple phrase. That someone said, "We shall overcome."

We shall overcome. :slight_smile:

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ruthel is right - we shall overcome. One person at a time.

The reason you hear "it's just not right" a lot is because there's no argument against it. And the reason there's no argument against it is that it's not a stance. "It's just not right" means "I personally have an issue with it". And that's fine as far as it goes. But it's insufficient.

I have no idea how people can eat pistachio ice cream. I think it's "just not right". But I don't try to outlaw just because it upsets my delicate sensibilities. The "it's just not right" argument is insufficient. If I had additional arguments - pistachio ice cream causes cancer, it's made from baby seal pelts, whatever - then yeah, I can argue for banning it. But we don't legislate personal taste here in this country. If we did, I have a few TV shows and popular musicians I need to work on outlawing.

Lex

4. acorn7

Things will change, sooner or later... It all depends on educating people, getting the word out, working for equal rights, etc. The lone bright spot in the Prop 8 passing is that young voters voted massively against, and they are the future. We are the future! :slight_smile:

5. Mickey

Uhoh...I like pistachio ice cream! lol!

6. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am saving this post.

7. ScentedRegrets

Very true. An excellent observation. Our younger generation (which I am very proud to be a part of) is much more liberalized than the generation x'ers and generation y'ers, and especially the baby boomers. Our culture in the United States is becoming increasingly more accepting of alternative lifestyles. And it is a very large source of hope for the future.

8. Kryz

I hate when ~friends~ get like this.
    And as Lex here said bfore the "it's just not right". It's based on personal opinions, ao it's not a valid argument, and therefore ignorance it's obvious.