1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to come out as transgender?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by edy, Feb 15, 2015.

1. edy

edy

Out Status:
    A few people
    It was very difficult to come out as gay, but now I'm not very sure if I still can be labelled as such

Being honest about the duality of my gender (which is much more feminine than masculine) is almost like a second coming out. I have shared my crossdressing picture with some relatives and friends to ask for some feedback and the response was universally positive

However, I still can't come out with much closer people, like my mom, my dad, my sisters, my nephew, my niece and most of all, my grandparents (it sounds terrible but I will probably wait until they either die or I stop living in their home until I fully come out). And let's not talk about coming out to the entire world

I've been picturing myself living my life as a transgender woman but I lack of the courage that is needed to make it happen. I lack of confidence and I don't want people to break me down again, so I will wait until I accomplish something in life, like getting a master degree or becoming very good at singing which is my passion but I still can't do many things with my voice (I don't want to transition with hormones because I don't want to loose my tenor voice). That way, even if the entire world turn its back against me I will no longer care, since I will have something that is mine and mine alone

I feel very depressed because I'm still no Luciano Pavarotti and I can't live the way I want to live. Oh yeah, and my romantic life sucks, too. But I will carry on, don't worry

I decided that I won't try to kill myself until I discover what happiness is like, at least once in my life

#1 edy, Feb 15, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  2. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    -build a support network. Friends who are supportive, support groups, a gender therapist...
    a therapist might be covered if its connected with depressions, for example...
    or a therapist might be available at college...

-hormones don't have much influence on voice if you are mtf. You voice was lowered by androgens already. Its if you are ftm that your voice becomes deeper.
    People use voice training.
    http://emptyclosets.com/forum/gender-identity-expression/167981-transvoices-how-do-i-sound-3.html#47
    You could train in a way that does not influence your singing much... like female intonation, speaking more breathy, maybe speaking a little bit higher... etc...

You could have a look here for coming out:
    http://emptyclosets.com/forum/coming-out-advice/168164-just-need-some-simple-advice.html#6

If you want to talk to someone in person, you might call here:
    GLBT National Help Center
    They also have a database.
    Or here:
    Trans Lifeline - (877) 565-8860 - Transgender Hotline

I'd say just keep yourself motivated, do things that bring you some fun...

hugs

3. edy

edy

Out Status:
    A few people
    thanks ^_^