1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hey -- Panic Attack -- [any advice?]

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Beebo, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Beebo

so I'm going to get recorded this friday.

I had the flu all week, and I didnt think I'd beable to go, but today, I felt incredible.

My first session will be 5 hours.

I'll try and get you guys some tracks as soon as I can.

_______________________________________-

THE REAL FACTOR

I am effin nervous as balls! I've been practicing like mad, but I can't help but feel unprepared. When I went to visit the recording studio, it was all so nice -- so professional -- so intimidating... this is pretty much my only chance at becoming what I want to be, and I don't want to mess it up by being nervous.

• Any calming/relaxing/stress-relieving exorcises/techniques that I can use before I record?
    • Any vocalists here have any warm up tricks or techniques?
    • Any guitarists that have warm up tips???

I'll take anything you have to offer. All your advice is useful. Please help.

And if u pray to any god. Whip one out for me if you could.

Thanks so much.

2. kh23172

OMG good luck! That is so exciting! :grin:

3. Derek the Wolf

What kind of singing is this? It kinda depends on the genre as to how you warm up. Scales and all that are always good, but you probably know that. Breathe deeply beforehand to expand your lungs and stretch your diaphragm, it should make singing easier. And above all, relax.

4. Beebo

cool. Its mostly (all) my own stuff.

I've taken some singing lessons before, but I've never heard the deep breath trick. Sounds great man. thanks. :slight_smile:

5. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

I guess it is a little late to start doing this, but when I perform I have a little pre-show routine I go through to get me in the right head space. (I improvise so this may be a little bit different.)

It can be as simple as humming a song or drinking a glass of water. Just whatever you decide to do, do it EVERYTIME before you go on stage. You will eventually associate that action with performing.

As for relaxation techniques, I like to do deep breathing. When breathing in, your shoulders should not raise. All the air should be going to "bottom" of the lungs. Expand your stomach. Use your diaphragm. Stretch or massage your body anywhere it feels stiff. For vocal warm-ups, I do lip-buzzing and some projection work (a,e,i,o,u with different letter combinations in front like 'st' or 'm'). Another helpful thing, although it looks weird, is trying to brush your teeth with your tongue. It tires the tongue out ,making it less likely to stumble over words.

That's the best advice I got. :grin:

6. Brett

1.) Long time no see Mikey! =]

2.) I don't sing or play guitar, but I do know that if you need help calming down you should take deep breaths or try to do something else for a while if you can. I know, it's super cliche, but it's supposed to work, so it must be worth a try. I wouldn't resort to taking any kind of medicine, but if you feel that you have to, you can.
    Oh! And something I picked up from my choir friends. Try eating some honey before you sing. It soothes your throat.

Good luck with the recording! I can't wait to hear some of your stuff!

#6 Brett, Nov 5, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2008
  7. Janvier

Hey gorgeous !!
    As the others said, slow deep breaths, clear your mind and relax your muscles.
    You'll pull it off Mike :icon_wink
    I don't really know what advice to give you but I wish you the best of luck for the recording :grin:

8. Beebo

haha, thanks everyone.

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

so its my b-day today. I'm 20 (holy crap i'm getting old)! lol. what an eventful week.

ANYWAYS.

All your advice was wonderful. thank you so much. (i miss u guys like craaazy).

One more question.

I want to sing today to practice more. but should I just take today off and let my voice rest?
    I've been owning like a pack of honey lozenges a day. haha. mostly because I was just sick tho.

great advice Numfarh. My vocal teacher would have told me the same stuff - had I continued the lessons. lol. lip buzzing is like lip rolls? (where you make a 'brrrr' sound by slapping ur lips together (lol)- like its cold outside). I used to do them a lot... I should do them more... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. thanks for reminding me. Thanks a lot, you're advice will be a huge help.

JANVIER :O. I effin love you. heh. If I ever tour through Europe (which is very unlikely since I'd have to be famous to do that) I'm parking the tour bus in your front yard and sleeping over! hahaha. (WOAH!!!!) *glares at everyone with a dirty mind*. We're Obviously gonna watch Oprah reruns all night. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Brett. The red headed cannon of insight. I'll try just ignoring the fact that I have to do this tomorow... I mean it is my b-day today. I guess that helps. haha. It's good that you brought up honey tho. I'll bring a thermos of hot water and honey tomorow... just like the old days. I'm glad you reminded me -- I probably would have forgotten.

Thanks so much for all ur tips!!!

I think I want to come back to EC... :slight_smile:

9. sexyalex

here is a bit of advice

STOP PANICING!
    :lol:

if you love singing then there is no need to, just do ur thing and have fun. Producers like that about mucisians. You can also rest ur tonsel a day prior but not talking as much as u would do and drink lots of room temp. water with a bit of lime/lemon juice in it. (helps me anyways)

honestly, I know you will be fine. No need to sweat it dear.

10. Starlight

Starlight Guest

What and I get missed out on this tour of yours :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

And I've heard you sing Mike, you'll be fine (*hug*)

Good, we want you to come back :thumbsup:

11. Janvier

(!)(!) Happy birthday !!!!! (!)(!)

12. interstella

Heyy Mike,
    First of all, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Hope you had a great day! (!!)
    Secondly, don't be nervous. I've seen your videos on youtube and you're AWESOME. I would buy your songs :grin:

GOOD LUCK! *hugs*
    Hadi

13. Beebo

hahah. You guys are so flattering.

My voice has come a long way since the youtube days :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

I think I'm gonna do good tomorrow... I just had an explosive moment of refreshment that left me at ease, and now I feel ready.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

I'm just super excited now.

Thanks for the support!!!!

14. InaRut

I'm super EXCITED TOOO!!!!!

RIDE that ivory chariot into the heaven of ROCK and re-decend as a divinity of pure soul and wickedness.

15. Mickey

Yeah...what In A Rut said! Lol!

oops: Happy Birthday!

#15 Mickey, Nov 7, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2008