1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking about telling someone else..?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by choirsmash, Feb 17, 2015.

1. choirsmash

Ok so in my English class we have to keep a writer's notebook. We have to write at least 7 entries per quarter and I really want to write about my current struggle with my sexuality especially conflicting with my religion. I know my teacher is the only one who reads the entries and he doesn't tell anyone unless there's something really concerning in there. I'm not sure how concerning it would be since it's sort of depressing. I just don't want to be referred to guidance for this. I trust my English teacher a lot and maybe if I make it clear that I don't want anyone else to know, he won't do anything about it. It's not like I'm writing about a secret plot to kill the neighbors. I dunno, do you think it would be a good idea to write it?

2. Wildside

Wildside Guest

Can you write it as a thinly-fail fictional story about someone amazingly like you who is having this struggle? Otherwise (and maybe even in that case), I would say that it probably depends on whether you have red flags that would require her to bring it to the counselor's attention. A red flag might be something like signs of depression; and would definitely be something like suicidal thoughts (fortunately, it doesn't sound like you're anywhere near there). But just writing about being caught in a struggle between your church's teachings and your own identity doesn't sound like anything that should require her to sent it on. But, you never know. Why are you afraid of that? Perhaps the counselor might be able to help you understand and accept yourself more; and perhaps even give you some more ideas about how to deal with your situation.

3. whatdoIneed

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    When I took creative writing back in high school we had to write something in our journal a certain number of times per week (just a page or so). What was cool was the teacher came around the class weekly to make sure we did it, but made it clear she was NOT reading them just in case someone was using it to express personal matters.
    Since your teacher is going to read it, you should proceed with caution.. Do you know his views on LGBT stuff? Is it a school that would have a problem with a gay student? Just make sure you aren't opening a hornets nest.

4. choirsmash

I don't want to go to the counselor because he's awkward and it would be an overall uncomfortable experience haha. Now, the teacher's views on LGBT stuff. He literally just was saying today how he doesn't see anything wrong with it and how he hates that some of the other teachers in the school are so homophobic. He even told us about a faculty meeting a few years ago where the topic of gay people in the military came up and he told off another teacher because he made a comment about how he wouldn't trust a gay guy next to him in a foxhole. I think it would be safe haha, maybe this was a sign that I should.