1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out in school as trans?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Sonoa, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Sonoa

Out Status:
    Some people
    I've recently gotten a haircut and have already came out to some people as transguy but from what i heard from a friend is that the school might not be accepting of it and may possibly kick me out. The teachers and principle from my school all seem like very nice people so i don't really see why they would reject me but i'm now skeptical about it. Should i come out now and risk negative reactions from the school staff or wait until i'm done with my last year of school which is within 4-5 months?

2. YermanTom

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For me four to five months is not that long a time but that is because I'm really old :tears:
    As with all decisions, weather it is crossing the road or defusing a nuclear bomb, it's about assessing the risk. The severity of a bad reaction and the lightly hood of a bad reaction verses the benefits.
    What was the reaction to other kids that came out as gay? If they accept kids being gay they will probably be able to handle someone being trans.
    I presume your classmates will be cool about it, kids nowadays could teach us old fogies a lot about being accepting.

Do your research (anonymously if necessary) and don't rely on rumors. You could try ask your local LGBT on their experience with your school.

Look after yourself.
    (*hug*)

3. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Is there a counselor at school you might ask ?

4. black-cat

There are a few trans* kids out at my school. One of the boys, who is trans, is 16 and fully out and accepted by teachers and pupils, certainly not kicked out or anything.

I would recommend you ask a school therapist, head of your year, principal, someone like that.

If in doubt, just wait a few more months. You can do it. You've waited this long, and you need an education.

Good luck, I really hope you can come out properly, like I said, it is no issue at my school.

5. PossumJack

Hey Sonoa! I fully came out in my school, and both the teachers and students were very accepting. While I can't say how your school might react, it would probably be a good idea to talk to your counselor/school administration first before coming out to know how they can support you if you face any kind of harassment.

I'm also at the last 4 months of my last year in high school. What I personally decided was to "fuck it", because to me the dysphoria which came with hiding in the closet was worse than the possibility of bullying I might face. I would say to assess the risk vs. the reward for yourself personally and make a decision based on your personal comfort!

6. Sonoa

Out Status:
    Some people
    I guess i would be asking my art/chinese teachers first. I'm not sure if they would count as school counselors but they are the nicest teachers i know of. I'm not very afraid of bullying at my school, my classmates have shown positive views aboout LGBTA+ people before and there is a moderately open gay guy in my school who's not getting bullied (Although i don't know if the principle/teachers know about it). Thanks for all the replies

7. Wildside

Wildside Guest

is there anything to be gained by the principal/teachers knowing? If so, then I would definitely try to find one who you know is supportive of LGBT students and who can keep a confidence. It there is nothing to be gained, if their knowing really won't make any difference, any positive difference, then I personally wouldn't bother to tell them. If your friends are accepting and know about it, that's a much bigger deal, IMHO, because they're the people that you really have the most contact with.