1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I come out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Nightdream, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Nightdream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I live in a place were homophobia is pretty common and I'm studying in a lutheran school. I'm not sure if I'm lesbian or bi, but denying my attraction to females is making me feel bad. Should I come out or wait until I'm older? A few family members know that I'm not straight, luckily the ones that live with me are accepting, but most of them are anti-LGBT. I'm not sure if I should risk becoming a target of bullying. I've already dealt with that in the past and I don't have any friends right now, so I may be able to handle that. I'm not sure if I should do that though. I might run into more problems than I'm expecting.

Any advice?

2. Lanker

If the people that live with you are accepting of your sexual orientation, then i think you should try and be yourself at home but hide it (just a little) at school. If its common to see homophobic people where you live, donĀ“t make things worse for you. At least try to find EXACTLY who you are before fully coming out and find some open-minded friends in the process.

Good luck :slight_smile:

3. Wildside

Wildside Guest

I wouldn't tell anyone who is going to hurt me. that's just a bad situation to begin with, but it can get a lot worse for you. fortunately, at some point in your life you will move on and leave the haters behind. you are really fortunate that your family is accepting, at least some of them, and turning to them for support, and being yourself around them is perhaps the best that you can hope for now. (&&&)

4. Kate84

I have found that telling people that I know will be accepting and who make me feel comfortable and safe is extremely freeing. You deserve to be yourself and not have to hide, however, if another person makes you feel uncomfortable, scared, or lesser because of who you are then protect yourself first. You don't deserve to deal with that negativity and some day you will be able to move on and leave those negative people behind. Keep your personal safety and happiness as your priority.

5. itsmary

I can relate.
    Some members of my family know but anyone knows that I'm lesbian in my school. I think that you shouldn't tell people if you don't feel comfortable enough. You will know when it's the right time.