1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm finally out (to friends)!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Minerva, Feb 20, 2015.

1. Minerva

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It only took me like five months but I'm finally out to all of my close friends!

My first friend is practically my sister, I've known her since kindergarten and she lives down the street; she accepted me instantly, and said that I can't change who I am and "of course I'm not mad!" she then listed off like five people who are lgbt.

Second was one of my closest friends, but I knew she wasn't going to react well. I definitely did it over text, since she is super religious and comes from a conservative Christian family. She said that she still wanted to be friends and that she wasn't going to hate me for it or anything, but also that she still believes that homosexuality is a sin and wrong, that it's a choice. Our friendship's kind of strained because of it. She's never said anything bad about gay people, but she's definitely anti-gay marriage and rights, uncomfortable with pda, etc. I feel like I'm still lying about who I am when I'm talking with her, just to appease her.

Lastly like 15 min ago I told a friend who I just started being friends with a year or two ago. I knew she would be fine with it though, she's had lgbt acquaintances of mine come out to her, and her family is very liberal. I told her over txt since I didn't feeling comfortable saying it at school, and she said that "if you're joking to see how I would react I would support you either way, I'm your friend. If you're serious then good for you. :slight_smile: and if someone stole your phone and did this then shame on them." She told me that I shouldn't take anything our religious friend says to heart either and that she's here for me. That was by far probably the best reaction. It really surprised me since she's actually the friend I talk to the least.

I just really needed to tell someone! I feel so happy now that I'm out to my friends, and have some support. It's so much better than all the stress I've felt in the last few months.

2. ImaJen

Congratulations on your step out of the closet! It's such a relief isn't it? And about your religious friend, your third friend was right, don't take it to heart, you can see she's trying to accept you despite her upbringing. Nevertheless, well done!

3. Wildside

Wildside Guest

Congratulations!!! Enjoy the feeling! It's always like such a relief.