1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to a friend?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by choirsmash, Feb 21, 2015.

1. choirsmash

Hey, so there's this guy in my youth group who just came out to us as bi over the summer. I think he figured out he's gay but I don't know for sure. Anyway, he's still pretty like religious and stuff and I've been wanting to talk to him. I really want to but at the same time I don't. Like I know he understands and he would be a great resource but I'm just torn. I never really see him but I was thinking about just sending him a message over facebook chat. I don't even know what to say though. Over the summer, he trusted myself and everyone else in the group with this and I trust him (not so much everyone in the group) enough, I just don't even know how to tell him. It's so frustrating. Advice?

2. musicman1982

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi misterkawhat,

I would say the best thing is to build up a friendship with this guy and get to know him first, before you come out to him. If you do that, you can maybe get some trusted advice, but also a valuable and hopefully a great and a supportive friend. Hope this helps?

3. choirsmash

We're already pretty good friends, I just never see him. i just don't know how to tell him

4. musicman1982

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Okay, all it comes down to is if you are close enough with to share anything including this, then it shouldn't be a problem.

5. YunoGasai

the third person i came out to was bi and i never really saw her either, so i just sent a fb message saying im bi then a bi flag written in hearts underneath, she was really supportive and happy to know that i came out to her. :slight_smile:

6. choirsmash

Alright, I did it! I sent him a paragraph, but he'll be okay with that. I just hope he responds soon because he wasn't online when I sent it and the suspense is killing me

---------- Post added 21st Feb 2015 at 08:42 PM ----------

Update: he responded! We exchanged numbers, because apparently we didn't have them haha. I am so relieved, I don't know why I was nervous about it but I'm relieved. Now, I have someone my age going through the same thing that I can talk to in person or through text about this.

7. Nathen

Nathen Guest

Well, i would get to know him better. I've came to my friend only because i knew him really well. Good luck