1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Told the parents

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Micah, May 21, 2007.

1. Micah

So after the few years I've spent on empty closets, one would think I'd know by now that coming out in anger *isnt* the best way of doing things.

Ok - so some background information:

Last weekend my parents went away - and I was left at home in charge of my 16 year old sister. Anywho...I decided to invite a few friends around to have a drinks night (I ended up having 6 other people over).

Anyway I had 3 of my (gay) friends sleep the night, and well my mum found out and CRACKED the shits at me.

She was like "How could you put your sister in that sort of danger? Having 3 drunk guys around the house? She could have been raped" (mistake number 1: accusing my friends of being rapists....)

Anyway.. she kept going on about how I had been lying to her etc - I was speaking to one of my friends on msn, and I was like "Gargh! I'm so angry: You know what I should do? Pack my bags, and go out and say to them:

"Hey - you know what? Beth [my sister] was in no danger. All the boys who slept over were gay - including me. I'm sick of being forced to lie to you, and being made to feel ashamed of who I am. If you can't accept me then I just really can't talk to you at the moment"

So I did. I packed my bags (since I had school the next day - And year 12 stops for no one). And walked out to the kitchen and said just that.

When I got to the "all the boys who slept over were gay" part. I paused. My mum butted in and said

"Oh great" and kind of looked down on me, as if to say "we had *those* sort of people in the house"

So naturally this ticked me off. So I continued with "Including me, mum..."

Long story short, I then left my house, and drove to my best friends, where I stayed the night. Then next morning, after school, I drove home. Nothing was said until 2 hours after I got home. Dad came into my room. He said:

"i want you to think about your faith... god loves you no matter what. people might not be accepting of what you do, but we love you"

But he still thinks my sexuality is wrong, and that its a choice on my behalf. It could have been worse, I'm thankful my parents atleast love me.

My brother's offered to come around and talk some sense into them.

But that's how it's played out so far. I guess that makes me 100% out now.

2. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    In spite of the anger, it sounds like things are going to be okay. In fact, it might even bring you closer to your parents. Just don't stop talking to them about it.

3. Daniel6

In my opinion, you shouldn't have been that angry to your parents. They are your parents and your sister' parents too. They have the right to worry about you and your sister because they love you.
    Put yourself in your parents' shoes and think about it.
    Anyways, congratulations.
    Your parents are good people.

4. amanda

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    My aunt reacted that way when i told her, I am very close to my aunt, like a second mother. The old saying is hate the sin, love the sinner. Although i don't agree with that philosophy, especially because i am no longer religious, it is good that they are still at least speaking to you. Maybe some day they will come around.
    Amanda

5. Jim1454

Sorry to hear it had to go down that way, but glad for you that it's over with...

6. Jamie

Drammen, Norway (from England originally).
    granted... but comeon who screams rape after a couple of boys sleep round. It's not really one of those assumptions that most jump to.

Although a big well done to you Dave, glad you're finally out to your rents. To be honest this is one coming out story i've been trying to follow quite closely... and I hope that although things are currently a little edgey with the parents, that they'll eventually warm to the reality of it.

Well Done!

7. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Well I'm pleased it's finally out in the open. Perhaps not the best way to do it, but then I couldn't see you doing it any other way any time soon.

Keep the conversation alive but don't force it excessively. Hopefully your bro will help them understand better when he chats to them too. Seeing that he is cool with it could help them accept that it is not such a big deal.

Please keep us updated.

Take care mate. (*hug*)

8. BILL9854

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I just can't understand why some people believe being gay is a choice... Who in their right mind would choose it?!
    Anyway congratulations, hope I have the courage to tell the parents soon.

9. tired_of_lying411

OMG!!! This is really great, no matter how it happened. It sounds like your anger had no effect on the way they dealt with the information, so it sounds like it's just a blessing that it got out. No matter how much better things get, it's already better.

Congrats! :eusa_clap

10. hahaha no kidding

11. Way to be brave, Dave. Sounds like it wasn't the ideal reaction, but a reaffirmation of love from your parents is always a great thing.

12. Ben James

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Congrats, that's so great that you finally told them, even if it wasn't under the best circumstances :icon_wink still, at least you don't have to pretend anymore.

13. aussie paul

hey young man, what a way to go! I can understand your anger at the time. Like the others at least you know your family love you. And hey, you were born Gay. For those who believe in God, I say God created each of us as we are, gay, bi or straight. I'm over 50 and my parents are almost 80, so I'm not going to tell 'em. I might tell my sister one day soon. I'ts harder for me because of my age and that i'm married too!! But hey man, keep talking and listening. Remember, you don't have to agree with them, but communication is the way to go. good luck, Paul

14. TriBi

Hey mate - well, it might not have been the best way - but it certainly got the message across.

I'm guessing they'll get used to it...hehe...maybe you should introduce them to beckyg - after all, she's been there, done that, come out the other side etc.

More seriously, I hope your Bro will "tune them in" to the realities of the situation. It might make them think a bit when they realise you were able to tell the rest of your family - but not them - and the reasons why.

I'm wondering if repeating the "if it was a choice, who the hell would choose it" comment might also make them stop and think.

Hope it all goes well from here on in - fingers crossed and all that. :slight_smile:(*hug*)

15. LorenzG1950

Wow! Congratulations Dave on finally coming out to your parents (!) . Seems like that was always simmering in the background. That gives you 10 points. We’ll give you a minus 5 for not following your own advice about not coming out in anger :tantrum: . Then again, with the setup you were given by your mum, who could resist? I’m sure I would have blurted it out the same way. Now it’s time for you (with your brother’s help) to educate your parents (about this “choice” thing and morality).

Given your intellect and wit, your parents must be fairly smart :icon_wink . Give them a chance to get used to the idea and they’ll be just fine. And next time you’re having the guys over, you might even get their blessing.

Hope all goes well. You might also mention the good work you’ve been doing at EC:thumbsup: . That ought to knock them for a positive loop.

16. LorenzG1950

Ah yes, and you should be ready to answer the question, "Was one of them your boyfriend???" Or the less dignified question, "Who slept with whom?" :eusa_doh:

That should open up an entirely new can of moralistic worms. :slight_smile:

17. Double Dubya

I’m happy for you! :eusa_clap

I just hope that, since your folks jumped straight to the thought of them raping your sister:dry: , they don’t blame you for having your friends over to have your own “relations”, with your sister in the house:eusa_doh: .

Good luck:thumbsup:
    WW(*hug*)

18. Micah

Update:

After my dad spoke to me - nothing was said at home. It's been super awkward between mum and I.

I went out Friday night, and when I got home saturday afternoon, mum was excessively angry at me for minor things. (For example, I told her I would clean the bathroom on saturday, and when I got home she yelled at me for not cleaning it - even though I had only been home for 5-10 minutes).

Sunday evening my sister was on msn in her bedroom. She had this conversation with her friend:

[My Sister]: ...yeah I had a feeling

[Friend]: A lesbian feeling?! :wink: :wink: :wink:

[My sister]: Hahaha you're so random!

So my sister added "I have a lesbian feeling' to her msn name. Anyway - My mum walked into the room and saw her msn name and demanded:

"Why is your msn name like that?!" To which my sister replied:

"um...it was a joke." My mum told her

"That's not funny at all - get off the computer. Now."

-------
    So obviously there are some pent up issues with my mum... She makes excuses not to see me, presumably so that she doesnt have to talk to me about it...

My brothers arent able to come over for a while, since they live an hour away (which makes travel difficult when they work late).

Ah well - atleast dad's being accepting/nice to me. I just got to remember to keep my cool with mum.

19. TriBi

(*hug*)

Just hang in there...hopefully they (especially your Mum) will get used to the idea eventually...

20. Phantomblade

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    that would be my parents first response. it sounds like your parents havent gotten past you being gay yet to even consider this.

but im happy for you, good job:thumbsup: