1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lovers to Friends.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by myra, Nov 7, 2008.

1. myra

Any advice on how to make that transistion? My boyfriend and I of nearly two years ended our relationship the other day, but we want to stay friends. We both still consider each other our best friend, but we've yet to hang out since the day it ended. How does one make it not so awkward to be around each other? Or to make it not hurt when we see one another? The break up was as mutual as break ups can get and neither of us was angry. We both knew that ending it was the best thing for us. I'm just not sure how to go from being his lover to just his friend. I know the love has to change from that for a boyfriend to that for a friend and time will take care of that. But in the meantime, any suggestions on making it less awkward between us?

2. tashyyy

hmmm
    just act like you did when you were together
    you counted yourself as best friends then
    so nothing should change now
    if it was the best thing for you
    im 15, and very crap in this region of problems basically
    haha
    but iv tried to tell you anything i know
    :wink:

3. Corny

Corny Guest

Unfortunately this is something that doesn't work out very often.
    For me it worked best to let some time pass, and not see each other for some time. Make a cut. Or you will never remember the time when it stopped being a relationship - especially when it so slowly stopped like in your case.
    And then after some time has passed, slowly start "re-building" the "new" relationship between each other.
    The real awkward part starts when one of you has a new partner :wink:

4. Gumtree

How well you can commute with your partner after a breakup often depends a lot on your relationship before you started dating.

If you were good friends before you became lovers, then you have something to fall back on.

But as posted before, there's no real reason to change much.

Perhaps you need to have the iniative and organise something, act as the same as you did before (perhaps exclude any of the physical stuff) and things should work out - but this is by no means a promise that it will happen quickly ^^