1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want to come out, but I'm not sure how or if I even should

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Elara, Feb 21, 2015.

1. Elara

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So...let's just get to the point here: I want to come out as trans. I really can't keep these feelings bottled up anymore. The problem is, I'm not sure what to do.

You see, I have no clue how my family will react. I don't know if they'll be supportive, confused, if they'll even care, or what. On top of that, even if I did know how they'd react, I'm not sure how to go about doing it. I can't just bring it up out of the blue.

So...what should I do?

2. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I see that you're 14 and are living in the bible belt. Are your parents religious? Pay attention to clues on how they stand on the LGBT community. Find someone close that you can trust. Try talking to a school counselor. They are bound by confidentiality and typically are very accepting due to their educational background. Nobody but them would know. They will know your circumstances better than anyone on Empty Closets.

#2 Geek, Feb 21, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  3. Celatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Okay first off don't tell your family first. Try a slower approach to test the water with other people.

4. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
  5. Wildside

Wildside Guest

definitely float some trial balloons and see how they react. mention something that you saw on the news, or something that you heard in a class at school that touches on the LGBT topic. see how they react. don't put yourself in a bad situation, but get a feel for where their heads are at. and if there is someone professional you can talk to, like a counselor or doctor, definitely do so. though it may be harder in the bible belt to find one who handles it well, I suppose. good luck.