1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Extremely Christian parents..........HELP???????

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by AgnisFlame, Feb 21, 2015.

1. AgnisFlame

I'm Trans* and gay and my parents are extremely Christian and I'm afraid to come out cause I don't want to dissappoint them. They are all the time putting down LGBTQ people. My dad calls my friends who are gay or lesbian "it" instead of he or she saying that their "not a real man or woman". It hurts and I'm afraid that if/when I come out they are gonna do that or worse to me. I have heard them say more than once that if any of us (me/my siblings) came out that we would find ourselves getting up off the floor. I'm scared that they'll hurt or disown me and I'll have nowhere to go.

2. antibinary

I'd stay in the closet unless you can support yourself. And even then I'd come out by email, text or phone to be safe.

3. Lanker

I agree. When conservative families can be as radical as that, it´s better to just stay low until you are financially independent.

Good luck :slight_smile:

4. theskyiseverywhere

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    First of all, I'm so sorry about your situation :frowning2: I have a family who is semi-homophobic. It's hard to explain.

Like others have said, I would just say to stay in the closet until you are able to support yourself.

Good luck :slight_smile:

5. AlienEmpire1524

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You DEFINITELY should not come out. At least not until you've moved out. I know you probably really want to come out because carrying such a big secret is hard, but it'll have to wait. Trust me, I came out to parents I already knew were homophobic and it was the worst decision I've ever made.

6. Elendil

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm really sorry to hear about the situation with your family. I can relate as my dad is exactly the same way. For a long time I suffered from depression due to living in the same house with him; knowing that if he ever found out I'm gay he'd kick me out and disown me. My therapist said it was best that I not say anything about my sexuality to him and let him figure it out on his own. I've never dated girls and it still hasn't dawned on him!

As the other guys have been saying, don't tell your parents as long as you're dependent on them. If you decide to tell them wait until you've moved out and can support yourself without their help. It may be hard, but you'll be better off in the long run.

7. AgnisFlame

I've thought about setting up a meeting with the school counselor and having them come to the school and doing it that way. So that they really couldn't do something and then I would have child services number or see if one of my friend parents could foster me till my birthday (18 YAY!) I'm already trying to save up for an apartment.

8. Saintly89

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It breaks my heart to hear things like this. It's so tragic that peoples minds can still be so corrupted by the sick medieval mindset that fears gay and trans people and that our culture can't seem to abandon. Just remember that who you are will remain strong and true, but all the obstacles the world creates in response are weak and will fall by the wayside. I wish you all the best!

And I second the opinion of others that now is probably not the best time to bring it out in the open. For the sake of your own security.

9. Wildside

Wildside Guest

I agree what has been said here about not coming out to them if there is some risk that you will be out on the street and unable to support yourself. But what you can do is to defend your friends when your parents trash them. when they refer to them as "it", you can point out to them that they do have a name, and tell them what it is. and if you feel a bit more daring, you can tell them that they are hurting that person's whole family when they treat him like that, and ask him how he would feel if his own child was gay or trans or something like that. and other than that, be patient. your day WILL come. and when we get to be adults, sometimes we have to form our own "family" groups, which don't always include people with whom we share DNA.

10. AgnisFlame

I don't know if I can wait until I'm 18. I've had a few signs that they might be more tolerant of it than I thought but I am really badly prone to depression and I might not last till December. I think their already suspecting something anyway. I haven't been with anyone since about 7th grade and when I bought men's clothes the other day my dad asked me if I was a lesbian.