1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I feel like I can't come out because my brother is gay too

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by sav, Feb 22, 2015.

1. sav

sav

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi all,

I've lurked on here for a while and finally found the courage to sign up and post a thread. It may be a long post so I'm sorry about that!

I'm 23 (soon to be 24) and I'm out to my close friends, but not to my family. Even though I was born and raised in London my family originate from northern India so some people in my family have a pretty conservative mindset, to say the least. Luckily, my own mother is relatively open-minded, to a point at least. I still live at home which sucks (London property prices are extortion). My parents divorced when I was 3 and my mother has worked extremely hard to give my brother and I a better upbringing than she had.

I've known I was gay since I was around 14/15 I'd say. I've only ever really been attracted to other males since then. I only have one sibling: my older brother who is 26. He is also gay (how did this happen?) and has been out since he was 21. My mum took that pretty badly - it took her weeks if not months to come to terms with that and I know from the little things she says sometimes that she is still not 100% on board with it.

My brother is the kinda guy that has lots of gay friends, goes to lots of gay bars and clubs every weekend and is quite vocal about this all with my mum; he's very open about his being gay now. In a way, for some reason this has pushed me even further into the closet. My brother knows I am gay too as I told him a few years back but we NEVER discuss it. Sometimes I even think he likes to treat me as if I'm straight so that he doesn't have to deal with the fact that I'm not. Another thing that makes it hard for me to connect with other gay guys is that my brother lives at home too and if I use gay apps or websites, there's a big chance that I'll encounter either my older brother or one of his friends so it's made it almost impossible for me to have a relationship or even get myself out there to connect with other gay guys.

Since there are only two of us, my mum often treats me as if I'm the son who is going to get married and give her a daughter-in-law and lots of little grandchildren. Thing is, I've never had a girlfriend or brought a girl home or anything like that, so I feel like she's stepping up the pressure as I'm getting older. She's even mentioned stuff like 'if you don't find a girl I'll find one for you to marry' which absolutely tears me apart. I guess I haven't helped myself here either as once I was in the car and my mum asked me 'you ARE interested in girls right?' and all I could answer with was 'yes' because I just wasn't ready.

I feel like if I come out to her, it'll destroy her. Since she only has two sons who she has sacrificed so much for, and none of us are going to give her the grandchildren or daughter-in-law that she expects. The fact that northern Indian culture is all about marriage and family has ingrained in her the expectation that I'll somehow bring in a daughter to the family and give her lots of grandkids.

Another thing that has made this all the more complicated is that we have recently moved in together with my mum's partner and he has two young children - a young girl and boy. His son is very effeminate and prefers to play with dolls and toys marketed towards young girls rather than toys marketed towards young boys. Sometimes, I feel like my mum thinks he's not quite normal, even though I'm glad that he is able to be who he is at such a young age. But sometimes the things she says in passing about it make me cringe and make it just that much more difficult for me to be who I am because of how her mindset is sometimes.

I'm sorry if I've posted an essay - I've just pushed this so deep inside of my heart for so long that I felt the need to just let it out. This is something I haven't even shared with my friends who know I'm gay but I just felt like this was a safe and secure place to share it.

Thank you so much,
    -Sav

#1 sav, Feb 22, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  2. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey fellow Londoner… welcome to EC

Its a tough one. But I expect the sooner you let your mother know - the better it will be for you. And her.

You big brother is "off the hook" and enjoying his freedom. While you are suffering as you remain closeted just to preserve your mother's feelings.

You saw you mother suffer a lot when your brother came out and so that probably drove you further in to the back of the closet so you do not hurt her a second time? You know, this is typical "second son" behavioural psychology (compensating for the mistakes of the older brother. You can read about it online!).

But remember she learned a lot when your brother came out. So your coming out should not be so difficult for her. Sure, she will have disappointments or sadnesses, but she has to face the honest truth at some point.

And remember, she ultimately would want your happiness to come first. She would hate it if you were unhappy trying to protect her feelings.

And where is your brother in all this? Why is he not supporting you and backing up whatever decisions you are formulating ? He can have a part to play in it not being so awful for your mother, or for you.

3. sav

sav

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank you so much for your reply.

My older brother is definitely enjoying his freedom. He's been open with my mum about past boyfriends and is very active on the London gay 'scene' if you will. I definitely feel like I'm trying to be the son she wants in order to not cause her deep sadness again. I even used to contemplate getting married and having children some day so that I can make her happy. Once I realised that I wouldn't be able to do that I felt like I should just be alone for good as a 'confirmed bachelor' or something.

I've never had a boyfriend or relationship because I feel that if I use the usual methods of connecting with other gay guys (apps or websites) I'll likely run into either my brother on one of them or one of his gay friends since they are all local to where we live. I used to be on a few gay social websites and the utter horror of seeing my brother's profile listed in my vicinity made me delete it. The thing that scares me is that I've become so good at acting as if nothing is wrong, and going about my daily life normally even though inside I feel so desolate.

I don't know if my brother will support me with this. We never discuss the whole gay thing and he shares a lot more about his life with my mum than with me. He must know I'm gay because I told him a few years back yet he doesn't acknowledge it. I also don't talk to him about his life so we may not have the closest relationship. I also feel at times that he 'taunts' me with his freedom since I guess he's forgotten what it feels like to live with this burden. I think he views my being gay as a huge inconvenience to him, if I'm honest.

I just don't think he'll support me with this; if and when I come out to my mum I think I'm going to have to do it alone without his knowledge.

4. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It does sound a bit like your brother is stealing all the oxygen .. but you have to take responsibility for your own life and your own happiness and live by your own rules.

But practical matters may dictate that maybe things do not have to change instantly. But you would do well to have a 3 year plan or something, whereby you can see yourself getting your own place and your own social scene without constantly censoring yourself and watching whose toes you may be treading on.

It would be nice if your brother could be part of the plan. Being your 'ally' rather than someone you keep in the dark. Surely he understands what you are going through and would support you. Or he would if it was pointed out to him??

5. wasgij

Maybe that's a lesson that she must learn in her life?

Will more time make it easier for her?

It's the same in cultures with declining populations and an average of 1.x children per couple. My parents want grandchildren too. Since they are and have been parents for so long, they can never fully understand the pressure that their children face, especially if they married young. You know the "strange" people who do not have a family and don't pass on their genes to the next generation? History may forget them, but they are still part of the culture. It doesn't matter.

6. Wildside

Wildside Guest

well, there are no quotas on how many gay children are allotted to each family. at some point, your mother is going to figure out that you're not going to get married, and if you don't tell her you're gay it will be harder for her to understand, and she'll constantly be on you to marry. Or you could make the terribly awful decision to marry just to keep her happy, which would be disastrous for you and so unjust for the poor woman who deserves to be married to a man who wants her, not someone who married her to fool his mother. it seems like your brother really could be your natural support in all this.

7. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is a pretty simple one. You need to live your own appropriate life, just as your brother is living his. His freedom does NOT imply you have to be imprisoned, even if you live in the same house. He is free because he came out, without regard for your mother or you, and you haven't. When you come out, you will be free too. You have made your mother's unfulfilled wish for a straight child your problem, when it is actually her problem. You are who you are; you need to start living like it.

8. sav

sav

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I understand that I need to live in a way that is true to who I am as a person, but I just feel like the idea of having not one, but two gay sons will be something my mother just will not be able to come to terms with. I know that the desire for a daughter-in-law and grandchildren is something that is more to do with what she wants than I want, but I'm terrified that shattering her dreams like that will alter our relationship forever.

9. cdk

cdk

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey Sav,

Sri Lankan lesbian here, can definitely sympathise with your situation, except the brother being gay :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    All I can say is you will reach a point where it you have to make a decision to live for your happiness or your mother's. I get the whole grandkids and in law business but the reality is you won't give it to her. She has to grow up and realise the future she had in mind for her sons will not happen . There won't be a right time but it has to happen (come out that is). Maybe your brother can help you come out to your mum? Please understand you are not responsible for your mum's reaction.

Regarding your love life, have you considered venturing out of your local area? I think a change of scenery for a while , might help clear your mind.

10. sav

sav

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm in a position financially to leave home and live in a different part of London, but part of me wants to move somewhere totally different. I was thinking maybe somewhere like Berlin as I can speak a basic level of German.

Right now though, I feel like there's such a huge weight on my shoulders and every day it's pulling me further and further down and I just want to lift it off and get rid of it. I want to start living life and stop having to constantly censor everything that I do. It's so exhausting and I feel so ground down even at 23.

11. cdk

cdk

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sounds like you have some ideas already which is fantastic! Maybe start doing some preliminary research on the areas you would like to live (Don't forget to check the queer population and level of acceptance, last thing you want to do is move to an area where you can't live openly).Keep planning, maybe first travel to the areas for a holiday and check the places out.

I do feel similar to you, the weight of the heavy burden and not being able to live openly.Have you considered undergoing some counselling? Helped me alot when I was coming out to myself.

When the opportunities do arise (such as going to a gay bar/club or gay youth meetup), take the advantage to make new friends, chances are they will introduce you to your future boyfriend :slight_smile: Also, I've realized that family is who you choose, yes your mum and brother are your flesh and blood but if they don't accept you for who really are do you want to call them family? I understand your mum made many sacrifices which would have been even more challenging as a single mum and for that I applaud her. Keep in mind she made those sacrifices to give her sons a better future. Sure, she had imaginations of daughter in laws and grandkids. Better future does not mean that. It means living a life that you are happy.

12. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    hey sav, looking at your situation, you pretty much have it rough. the one thing i've learned in life is not to sacrifice your own happiness at the expense for someone else's. you live your own life. the weight on your shoulders is not worth the risk of carrying throughout your lifetime. your brother sounds pretty hypocritical if he doesn't want to deal with what you're going through, more or less, support it. if you're hesitant with connecting to the lgbt community or meeting guys, there's always another way. not EVERY lgbt individual is involved in the community and have different opinions about it. you said you're in a position to live elsewhere different, you can think of it as a new beginning, for yourself.

13. sav

sav

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I guess I'm at a pivotal point in my life where I've realised that the only way I can be happy and truly be myself is by being open. For what feels like a long time I've been able to function in a way that didn't let anyone know that I was torn apart and broken emotionally. I was so good at seeming 'fine' that I developed an emotional numbness that seems to be melting away right now and I don't know why that's happened.

Recently, I've found myself breaking down and sobbing in the bathroom at work (and I haven't cried in possibly a year or more prior to this happening). I feel like this facade I was so good at maintaining has started crumbling and is making it more and more clear that I have to do this.

It's just really hard because as Bolt35 has pointed out I do believe my brother thinks of my situation as a massive inconvenience and I know he won't support me in this so I'm on my own. I can't live this life for much longer like this though. I just can't.

I recently heard the saying that 'a life lived in fear is a life half-lived' and it just resonated so deeply with me. I'm definitely living half a life right now.

14. shota

shota Guest

it's so funny how my mom still believe this same stuff

15. Wildside

Wildside Guest

your mom lived her life as she chose. now it's your turn to live your life as YOU choose. she may be hurt, but she'll get over it. and who knows, maybe some day you'll give her a great son-in-law and kids.

16. I'm_Danni_x

I agree with this.

Just come out to her when you're ready and live the life you want. She'll get over it and remember your mental health is way more important than her expectations of you. Just be who you're

17. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is probably true… the question is whether you will be authentic enough to front it up with your mother. Frankly, she will probably deal with it better than you think.

Maybe you can be you in London. Or moving city may be another way of handling it.

This is just the prolonged stress, and the feeling trapped, causing depression. Once you make a next step on your own future path you should feel a lot better about life and things in general.

18. sav

sav

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I know I need to deal with this head on. I guess the breaking down recently is due to the fact that I'm getting increasingly frustrated with being someone that I'm not.

I feel like even at 23, I have so many regrets and I've missed out on so much already. It's just overwhelming sometimes.

Thank you to everyone who has responded so far - you are all helping me move ever closer to finally being open about the person that I am with those who matter most.

19. Rosie

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You've said that marriage and family is an integral part of northern India culture. I can imagine part of the reason why your mother might not be completely comfortable with your sexuality is because she is afraid you will close the door on that part, both for you and her. (Perhaps that is also what she believes about your brother). I think it's important to stress to her that being gay does not mean you can never get married or give her grandchildren. There's a lot of possibilities (adoption, foster care, surrogacy, etc.) for having a family. Even if you are not planning on getting married or having kids, it might help to make sure your mother knows it IS a possibility.

20. sav

sav

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi all,

I finally did it. I told my mother this Friday and she took it much more positively than I expected. However, although I initially felt a great sense of relief after we spoke, I now feel an overwhelming sense of guilt and regret.

I feel like our relationship is somehow irreversibly altered and I feel guilty because my mum only has two children and we're both gay. I feel like she wants to support me, but has a deep sadness. For example, yesterday when I was leaving to go to work we chatted a bit over breakfast and she remarked about how shocked she still is (I was so good at always censoring myself and appearing straight that everyone is always shocked when I tell them I'm not). Just as I was about to leave we hugged, and I could sense that she was tearful when we said bye to each other. I felt a lump in my throat too and ended up crying on the walk to the station (in an alleyway so nobody could see).

It's odd, but I almost feel like I wish I could take it all back...