1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice On Coming Out To Mom?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by JooBooGoo, Feb 22, 2015.

1. JooBooGoo

It's been a while since I've thought about coming out to my parents.
    About a year ago, I tried coming out to my dad he was driving me to school. I instead only started crying when I said "I need to tell you something important". After that we parked at by a Burger King and asked me what's wrong. By this point I knew that I literally cannot back out at this point and tried repeatedly tried to just day "I'm Gay" but started stuttering and crying even harder. He ended up making me text him what I wanted to say. Luckily he was supportive and called me brave even with the crying and drove me off to school.
    He never told my mom since she grew up in a conservative family despite now leaning more liberal.
    Even before then I had been drifting away from my mom since she started bringing up the subject of women and sex. This is driving me crazy since we have always been close when I was a kid. I really want to come out to her without freezing up or crying, since she would tell me and my siblings to "man up" whenever we would get emotional.

So my question is: how can I come out to my mom without becoming extremely emotional if at all possible?

2. Riki

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm still In the closet to my parents. But, I think you could maybe try texting her if you don't want to get so emotional. Remember though it's good to let your emotions out, it's a nateral response. I know for sure when I tell my parents I will cry :slight_smile: Anyway good luck!

3. Wildside

Wildside Guest

texting worked with your dad, so why not try it with your mom. this is how you do it: you just type out what you would say to her. it doesn't have to be very much, as long as it includes "I'm gay." then you put your finger on the send key, bite your lip, and apply pressure to the key (you can skip the lip bite if you want). and then you just sit back and wait it's like magic. good luck.

4. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Tell her in writing. No tears, no drama. After she thinks about it for a while she will get back to you with a response, maybe after talking to your dad. Then it is her problem to deal with; you have done your part.