1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want to come out to my parents but I'm afraid

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Pip97, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Pip97

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm out to a few friends and am ready to come out to my family. I know my mom will accepting. The problem is my dad and stepmom. My dad got remarried to a very conservative Christian woman. I don't know how she'd react. My two worst fears are that she would drive a wedge between my dad and me or that by coming out I would create between her and my dad.

2. Wildside

Wildside Guest

It sounds like you live with your mom, is that correct? does your step mom already have a history of trying to put a wedge between you and your dad, or has she been supportive of your relationship? Is he is own man, or does she pretty much run the show? how you answer these and other questions you can think of should give you a sense of how he will react. I would never let a spouse get in the way of my relationship with my kids, but I don't know what your dad is like. but you do! good luck.

3. Pip97

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm in college right now so I don't live with either. My stepmother does seem to have quite a bit of control over my dad's life. For instance he started going to church with her even though her church doesn't really reflect his beliefs.