1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unsure of what I should do?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Partech, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Partech

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    With this being my first post on EC, I guess i'll give a little background and how I'm feeling at the moment.

I have been aware of my attraction to males from my early teens and it was only up until the middle of last year that I think I let myself really think it through(I am 21 now).
    After 8 or 9 months of watching coming out videos on youtube and reading through online forums, speaking to a few people on Tumblr and a lot of self reflection I think i have come to the conclusion that I am gay. the thought of this was never something I really struggled with in high school, Its just something I kept suppressed and kind of went along with at school not really knowing if I would come out or not.

Now I sit at a place where I think I am ready to come out, however as I draw closer to wanting to come out, I keep on doubting myself and have a fear that once I come out and start exploring my sexuality that I won't actually be gay, I don't know if this is just me trying to stop myself from coming out, if its fear, denial or just a mixture of everything.

I think this fear may come from never exploring my sexuality, I have never done anything with any guys and only kissed a few girls(all times under the influence of alcohol at parties/clubs), but looking back that didn't really feel like anything. However I wouldn't want to explore my sexuality with guys unless I was actually out. (If I were to come out, it would to parents/siblings first then friends)

I know that my family and friends would completely be fine with it if I were to come out, but i'm kind of stuck in a place where I don't know what I should be doing. Any advice or help would be appreciated :slight_smile:

2. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Rewind 20 odd years and it could have been me writing the very same words Partech. I can relate to everything you said. The feelings of doubt, questioning and uncertainty are normal part of the self acceptance process, but if something deep within you is telling you that you are gay it's time to connect with the idea, because it will not leave you. The feelings are there for a reason.

3. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you have it backwards; explore your sexuality first, before declaring yourself with a label. You can go to gay clubs or social groups or just hang out with some gay friends before putting a rainbow shirt on. That way, you will confirm your feelings while at the same time building a support group to help you come out when you are ready. IF it doesn't feel right as you explore, you don't have any backtracking to do by labeling yourself early. You don't have to declare yourself as anything to explore.

4. Partech

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thank you for your responses.
    I don't feel comfortable about secretly exploring my sexuality.

Maybe this is because I have come to the conclusion that i'll explore once I'm out because I know I'm gay, and I imagine exploring once your out relieves a lot of the pressure of keeping it a secret.

If its something that I haven't stopped thinking about then I guess I really do need to connect, may just take a bit more time for me, but typing out what I'm feeling on here really does help my process my thoughts.
    Thank you

5. pinkgorilla

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am sadly in the same boat mate. Almost everything you wrote resonates with myself, albeit I am a bit older than you. I am stuck in the conundrum of almost being completely sure that I am gay and wanting to come out, but the fact that I've never been with a bloke means that there is always that bit of doubt, or lack of surety. I'd agree with the poster above that you don't need to be out to try it on with guys, but that feels quite daunting to me and is easier said than done. Like you I'm not sure I feel comfortable with that- doing so on my own, which leads me back to wanting to tell someone, and then we go round in circles again and feel stuck. I guess you just have to do what feels right for you, and just take some action, as in the end it's probably not going to matter too much, but yeah I feel absolutely the same way.

6. Partech

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It seems that we both are struggling with the same thing. Have you had the thought that you might just go ahead, take that leap and come out? Then see where it takes you from there.

I was also thinking about coming out without a label and just saying i like guys, but I don't want to confuse my family and friends by giving them doubt about my orientation.

7. pinkgorilla

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yep. In my situation I'd be more likely to tell just some friends first. I have a couple of gay friends, who to be honest I'm not best mates with but mates nonetheless, who I think would be understanding and be good moral support if we ever went to a club or gay event or whatever. My closer friends would also be totally cool with it, but even though they are gay friendly I just wonder how much help they'll be. Who knows, maybe just telling someone is all the push we need.

You could definitely come out without a label, and do so more casually, if you didn't want to make it a big deal. Like you could suggest that you like guys but are a bit uncertain and want to experiment or something. I'd probably rather be a bit more assured than that, but it is up to you. It seems for me that the path that makes the most sense is tell some friends > find someone to root > tell family, but as everyone will tell you on here there is no right way to come out yada yada.

---------- Post added 25th Feb 2015 at 04:16 AM ----------

I'll also add that because there are so many ways of coming out, I think it makes it a little bit more difficult in making a decision which is best. I mean you could experiment without telling anyone via online dating, apps, anonymous websites (I'm pretty sure I can't name the exact ones I'm talking about but I'm sure you know), or simply going to a gay club in person. You could tell friends first, family first, a counsellor or psychologist, join a lgbt group, all that stuff and more. The more options you give people the harder it is for them to make a decision, especially when you're as indecisive as me!

8. Partech

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think i'm slowly moving to a place where even though I'm not 100% sure I'm gay I'm ok with opening up to my parents and friends that I most likely like guys because I know they will be supportive, but i'm still figuring it all out and now that I'm open with them, ill be able to explore and make more sense of everything.

9. I felt the exact same way only a few short months ago, but after much deliberation I finally came to the conclusion that I don't have to kiss a guy to know that I want to.

10. pinkgorilla

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It sounds like you are on the right path then! Hopefully you can continue moving forward and start to reveal your feelings to those closest to you. It must feel great to know they will have your back! It will be a tremendous weight off your shoulders I am sure. Letting people in is scary but rewarding. The one time that actually mattered where i was able to come out was whilst overseas and I met two people, a lesbian and a gay bloke at a bar. That was one situation where I (obviously) knew that they'd be fine with it. I did so at the start of the night (whilst virtually sober and everything!). It went on to be one of the best nights of my life, just to have that freedom to be yourself, and not hide behind disconnection, and have others know you. It didn't lead to anything physical, but being in that mindset it certainly felt like a possibility rather than an outright improbability. I guess I am slowly trying to draw on that experience and apply it to my life now. Anyhow, all the best, and don't be shy to post any updates :slight_smile:

11. Daydreamin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This is exactly how I felt not too long ago! Tbh labels place such a big burden in our society, if you come out as gay to anyone you shouldn't feel restricted in any way, you are free to do whatever you want and whatever makes you happy. If the people you came out to respected you for your sexuality then in the future if you perhaps fall in love with a girl I'm sure they would respect you either way.
    If you really feel the need to come out perhaps come out as bi maybe?

12. Wildside

Wildside Guest

Think about who in the family would be easiest to come out to. Maybe that's your mum or dad, or a sibling, or a cousin. and then just have a chat with them. that will give you the start of a support network. you can write them a note if you're really scared, but it might be best to have that conversation because you really need the support. Right now, the hardest thing is that you're all alone. But it sounds like you're ready to take the next step.

13. andrewuk

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    24 hours ago I was in EXACTLY the same boat, - and I mean word for word. I wrote a post about it on here too. And it helped me finally decide that I was definitely gay.

I'm sorry I don't have an amazing solution, I just wanted you to know that you weren't alone. I'm still looking for my own answers, I hope you find yours too.

Good luck. :slight_smile:

14. Partech

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I have an opportunity to tell my parents this weekend, we are all going away to a family house for a few days. It will just be us three, not too sure if this is the best place to come out, whilst I'm extremely confident they will take it well, there isn't exactly anywhere for me to go to get away, If its a bit awkward, if you get what I mean. Would it be best to wait till we are all home?

I haven't locked it in with them, so another option is to tell them the day before they go so that way they have a few days to process it.

15. pinkgorilla

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    In my very humble opinion i think it would not be best to tell them whilst away, for the reason you suggested. I think it'd be better to tell them, answer any questions they may have and give them whatever time and space they need to digest the news, something that may not be afforded to them whilst away together. And yeah it might be a bit awkward for you if you weren't able have some space also. But do what you think is right!

16. Wildside

Wildside Guest

Just see how it feels in the moment. If it feels right, go for it. If not, just enjoy the getaway time

17. Partech

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Something popped up for me and I'm not going with my parents anymore, I was considering telling them tonight but I don't think its going to happen.

I don't know what its going to take to push myself to do it, What I'm having trouble figuring out is if i'm ready to come out, does anyone have any advice?

Whenever I'm not at Uni or with friends, this seems to be occupying my mind all the time and its exhausting me.