1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bible belt boogaloo

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by logson, Feb 24, 2015.

1. logson

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well, I tried to come out. Turns out, my family is homophobic. Yay! :bang: It just frustrates me that I always get the worst luck when it comes to my personal life... Anyways, my mom treated "the gay" like it was a disease. She tried to take me to therapy, took away my electronics, and basically was going to ground me until I was 30. I then untold her I was gay. Did I do the right thing?

2. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sorry, it's a tough situation.

Well you didnt do anything wrong. You told them and they don't accept it. If you think you may have trouble with this, you may want to wait until you are able to move out.

3. Wildside

Wildside Guest

I think that you did the right thing on both counts. You told them, so you came out, and really, words can never be unsaid. And now if they choose to believe that bullshit about having been mistaken about being gay, good on you. You need a survival strategy until you can achieve independence, and so in the meantime you might have to act the part. Being without your electronics isolates you, and stops you from getting the only support you have access to. You know where they stand, and that they will hurt you in whatever way they can if you don't play the role they have picked for you. But once you are independent and they see you with your boyfriend, you can remind them that you trusted them enough to come out to them first, but...