1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need some answers

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by who am I, May 21, 2007.

1. who am I

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    What is it like to be gay?

2. shellz

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    what do you mean--- what do you want to know---

3. who am I

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    lifestyle i think not sure

just the basics i think.

4. xxAngelOnFirexx

gays are no different than ordinary people. the only thing that i guess makes that 'less than the ordinary' is that they are attracted to people of the same gender. We act the same as anyone else. Maybe you're looking to close at the sterotypes.

#4 xxAngelOnFirexx, May 21, 2007
    Last edited: May 21, 2007
  5. BILL9854

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    There's no such thing as a 'gay lifestyle' really, it's just like being straight except you have relationships with members of the same sex.
    You choose your own lifestyle and live how you want, just like everyone else.
    The only way to answer your question really is to say just be yourself and live how you want, like the rest of the world :slight_smile:

6. SadConfusedBandGeek

oh wow...that helps:slight_smile: Now i'm not so scared to be gay lol THANX <3

7. ampthejazz

What's it like to be gay?

No different than it is to be straight, except for the fact that I like guys. That sometimes complicates various relationships and makes some things awkward. But if things are awkward, it's not because of me; it's because of other people being awkward. (like that sentence)

8. SpikySpice

Everybody has their own feelings and emotions about being gay. As for me, being gay is being enjoying my own ways and my own freedome. But like Jim said, we gay people are ordinary people who do ordinary things in ordinary ways.

I dont know how you guys feel, but to me, being gay is being special! Yeah, I'm serious

9. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Actually for a lot of people I think being gay is pretty different than being straight. There's this whole rhetoric of "we're just the same as you" but really, we're not. We don't have the same experiences growing up and we don't have all of the same fears and desires and we often don't take things for granted that straight people do take for granted. We often don't feel we fit into a lot of overly "straight" stuff (like, oh, marriage in the US). We are treated differently in the eyes of the law, so we have to worry about different things from straight people.

That's not to say we shouldn't be treated EQUALLY... just that thinking a gay person is no different from a straight person is a bit... well, silly. It's not like we're aliens or anything... but we live in a world where things just aren't set up for us to be quite the same.

But then, I've never been a fan of being "just the same as everyone else," so obviously I'm coming from a particular perspective.

10. Phantomblade

Out Status:
    Out to everyone

yea i agree ^^. but to answer your question. i think the only way your gonna really know is just go go with it.

11. xequar

Although my experiences are hardly a compendium of gay life, I think the statements above all have some degree of validity. At least for me, I've basically gone with the idea of being myself. I think joeyconnick's statement that things are different in the macro sense is correct, in that gay people do have some issues to deal with that straights don't. But, I also agree that there is some validity to the statement that we're no different from "normal" people, either. We go to work or school, we have friends, we go out in public and do stuff. Like I said, I think the real idea is to be true to yourself and find your own niche in the world. For the sake of conversation, my gay cousin likes showtunes and gets very much into the "gay" scene in his city. By way of contrast, I have been called the least stereotypical gay person by my roommate, since I am somewhat into cars, I follow sports to a certain degree, and things like that.

Like I said, be yourself. That's what it's like to be gay.