1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My husbands not gay... (yeah right)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by mk86, Feb 25, 2015.

1. mk86

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey guys so I'm watching a programme called my husbands not gay... Basically it's a load Mormon men married to women who are attracted to guys.. Rather than call it gay they refer to it as SSA.. Same sex attraction... They basically admit they like guys...but they don't act on it and their wives are cool with it..

Proper winding me up... Im struggling with the whole thing but if anything this programme has confirmed to me that is so much more important to be yourself... Absolute joke the way they call it SSA like it's a disorder that you can deal with if you don't act upon it... The wives are clearly bloody delusional and quite frankly annoying me coz they are encouraging their "husbands" to ignore their true selves... How can they do that if they truly love them....

Anyone watched it..? Any views?? Only positive im taking from it is that Yeah I like dudes big time... And you know what....give a f**k.... Better to be true to yourself than trying to hide your true feelings....

:wink: x

2. computergeek5

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I felt like I was going down the road of ignoring my true feelings and end up marrying a woman. It can be tough to accept the self but to not act upon the feelings I'm sure can be damaging...

3. Scifiguy338

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What I found very annoying with that show is that it portrays sexuality as very black and white. I remember someone asking on it ''How is it possible to be attracted to men and you're wives at the same time?'' This pissed me off. For those on the show who are mainly gay, I found it frustrating how they ignore their real feelings.

4. CyanChachki

I watched it once and I nearly blew a gasket over how ridiculous they where acting. Sure, you can simply not act upon it but that would make a person terribly miserable their entire lives.. see the thing is is with this show is that they can say and do as they please and no media or anyone for that matter says anything about it yet if you have a damn gay couple in a simple commercial, everyone freaks out and acts like the world is going to end.

I'm trying my best to explain my thoughts without getting angry. I just think that with shows like this, we're being sent back 20 years because everyone who doesn't know much about it or who is against it, is being misinformed and they now have this kind of power to use against us in debate. "Well, it's as simple as not taking action in homosexual activities". We've already said our bit, we've already made our point and there's nothing else we can do until they start to believe us and they never will. People seem to think that when this older generation dies off than everyone will be a lot more tolerant but that's not true. That older generation will teach their kids, who will teach their kids, who will teach their kids that homosexuality is wrong so the time to start getting this kind of stuff off TV is now.

5. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Anybody can have sexual attractions and not act on them. Bisexuals who are monogamous with their wives, for example. If they are really gay, with no attraction to their wives, then it is a bit stranger, but probably not worth being a TV program in any event. HEY, it's television entertainment. Did you really expect anything profound and insightful? "World to end, details at 11PM on News_schlock 20, but first here's a word from Duane Hoover's Exit 11A Pontiac Village".

6. YermanTom

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I saw bits of it. It shows that if you apply religion to anything reality and logic can totally disappear.

7. Wildside

Wildside Guest

It's just a big joke (they may not mean it to be, but it is). And, joke that it is, it deserves to be parodied. And so it has, by gay icon George Takei in this short, funny video titled "My Husband's Not Straight": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52jneLYFSEw

8. perplicatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So yeah, it's television and designed to be shocking and controversial.

If you're interested, I can offer some perspective. I used to be LDS (Mormon). I converted in college, and served a two year proselytizing mission after school. Personally, I left the Church shortly after my mission, and now years later, have finally accepted that I'm gay.

I know it's probably hard for an outsider to fathom, but if you are a true-believing Mormon (TBM as we ex-mormons sometimes call them), you believe that the Church is true and its doctrines infallible as a total package, because you believe that you asked God if it was so, and felt the Holy Spirit confirming that. No sex outside a male-female marriage is extremely core to the Church's doctrine, and there is no room for interpretation on that matter.

So basically, you have two choices as a gay TBM:

1) Decide you "have same-sex attraction" and choose not to act on it. Maybe stay single and celibate, maybe get married and live a fake straight life. (I guess a variation on this is to have a secret life of gay sex, but that is bound to not go well long-term.)

2) Re-characterize what you believe to have been your conversion experience, and tell yourself that that wasn't the Spirit telling you that the Church was true. Leave a very tight-knit community of generally well-intentioned and kind people, throw away a lot of certainty about what you believed was the purpose of life, and enter the great unknown (with the rest of us) of not being sure what is true in what appears to be a cruel and uncertain world.

Coming out is hard enough without all of the baggage of abandoning your faith and faith community. It is not surprising to me that there are gay (or bi?) Mormons who would give straight marriage a try rather being true to themselves and abandoning their faith.

The position of the Church is that same-sex attraction is a temporary mortal affliction, and that:

I don't agree, and I doubt many of us on this forum do. My heart aches for people who remain unhappy with the apparent hope that their gayness will be corrected when they are resurrected. But I also understand why they feel so strongly that way.

#8 perplicatus, Feb 26, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2015