1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this a terrible idea?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Pip97, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Pip97

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I have an idea on how to come out to my dad. I write stories and he always asks to read them. I'm usually afraid to show them to him because most of them include a same sex relationship. My idea to write a partially finished story that somewhat reflects my own situation. I would only write to the point where my main character's parents discover his orientation. I would then ask him how it should end and use that as a stepping stone for coming out.
    I like this idea because it will allow me to gage his reaction somewhat before coming out but also feel like it might be a really stupid idea. Is it?

2. NewKid87

No, I don't think it's a stupid idea at all! But you may want to prepare yourself for the possibility that your dad won't put two and two together. That is, he may read and enjoy your story and offer his thoughts about how it should end, but he might just consider it a work of fiction, and not draw any connections between it and your sexuality. I speak from experience; sometimes family members can be rather oblivious.

So my only warning would be - don't leave it up to your dad to draw conclusions about you based on your story. Your idea is an EXCELLENT way to start a dialogue with him about sexual orientation. But I think you'll have to move it forward and tell him explicitly if you're prepared to come out to him.

I do think this is a great idea though. Good luck! :slight_smile:

3. Lyana

You know... I write, and my parents have always wanted to see what I write, but I refuse to show them. I don't think this is a stupid idea at all, and I almost wish I had thought of it. If it's what you want to do, go ahead, yes!

But NewKid87 has an excellent point; your dad may not get the hint on his own.

4. RelaxedDude97

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    In my opinion it's a great idea, if you like writing and you feel like this is the
    most comfortable way for you to come out then you should deff do it.
    As NewKid87 said, there is a possibility that your dad won't put two and two together, so you might have to be more explicit after he finishes the story^^

Goodluck :slight_smile:

5. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would include an ending chapter, which is how you would want the story to end (a sort of Dad takes son into his arms and tells him he loves him and will always love him because he is his own flesh and blood), then ask him if he would write a different ending if he were the dad.

6. Wildside

Wildside Guest

I think that's a phenomenally good idea. I would even consider having the father find out that his son is gay by reading an unfinished story that he was writing. good luck! :thumbsup: