1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confessions, Part One

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by DougTheBicycle, Feb 26, 2015.

1. DougTheBicycle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Greetings from Beboptopia!

So, I have recently admitted to myself, and several close friends, that I am bisexual. I will be discussing the topic with my girlfriend when I see her this weekend (we live about two hours apart right now. Soon to be remedied!) but there's a much bigger question going on.

Should I tell my parents?

Let's examine the facts.

I am in a very healthy, committed relationship and have been with the same wonderful lady for the past three years. I'm planning to propose as soon as possible, and we are moving in together in a few months. Of course, I will tell her as soon as I see her what I have discovered, but I'm much less sure if I should tell my parents.

Dad is a 'Christian' (hasn't been to church in years but talks about God constantly) and i'm pretty sure mom is a christian just because dad is. I'm not a hundred percent sure about how either of them would react, but it worries the hell out of me.

I'm not sure I need to tell them, though. I'm not going to be bringing a guy home any time soon, and it's not really a topic that comes up in conversation terribly often.

Thoughts? Opinions? I need help!:bang:

2. DougTheBicycle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    All right, so my girlfriend will be in town today, and I'm starting to freak out a little bit about telling her. What if she reacts badly? What if she tries to explain it all away, or tell me it's a phase? HOw do i tell her? do i just come out and say it, do i sit her down and ease in to it? do i actually tell her?

3. Wildside

Wildside Guest

well, you're talking about marriage so you just have to tell her, and tell her before you ask her to marry you. Just do it! If she freaks and leaves you, well you just couldn't have married her in that case. If she decides to stay with you, then you will have her as an ally and you can discuss with her whether or not to tell your parents. If you're marrying a woman, I'm not sure if there is much point in telling your conservative parents.