1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out to Family?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by mechanicaltick, Feb 28, 2015.

1. mechanicaltick

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi everyone! So, I've come out to a few of my best friends as lesbian/gay and gender-queer. They're extremely supportive and their support has given me the courage to want to come out to my family. However, I have no idea how to begin the conversation. My mother is pretty liberal, while my dad is a huge conservative. I was thinking about coming out to my mother separately and then coming out to my dad once I gained her support. I'm also home-schooled, would it be better to wait until I graduate to come out so I won't be financially dependent on them? Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

2. Wildside

Wildside Guest

:welcome: Welcome to EC! You are definitely in the right place. It's always best to come out first to people that we know will be supportive and affirming, and who can then be our allies for coming out to more people. So yes, your mother would definitely be the best first person, and she could give you a better read on your father. But as far as the timing, do you think that they will cut off support or kick you out when they find out? If that is a possibility, then you definitely would want to postpone it until you're independent.

3. mechanicaltick

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I feel like my dad would stop paying my tuition (I do distant schooling), but I think I'm going to come out to my mom regardless and maybe wait to tell him. Thanks :slight_smile:

4. Wildside

Wildside Guest

:goodluck: let us know how it goes! :goodluck: