1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want to tell my father...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by KyleKarma, Nov 8, 2008.

1. KyleKarma

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    but I'm not sure if it's the right thing to do yet...

like, he's UBER religious, and....i never told my mom, but she OBVIOUSLY knows, we just don't talk about it.

and everyone else, including my older sister knows...
    I've never really met anyone who has an issue with it, so....I'm not sure how to like....tell my dad.

because i want to, it's killing me that I haven't, however...I fear that if i tell him, I'll be somewhat disowned, should I wait untill I'm able to live on my own before telling him?

I don't know what to do.:confused:

2. xequar

If you're worried about getting kicked out of the house or whatever, then you might want to consider waiting. Really, I can't tell you one way or the other definitively, but if you're concerned that you might be kicked out of the house, then you might want to wait. If staying closeted is tearing you up, then it might be worth the risk.

Usually I advise coming out, but you have to evaluate your situation.

Best of luck!

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there and welcome to EC! :slight_smile:

Even though it can be hard, but at times it is best to wait if you have doubts and fears that you could be disowned. If he is very religious and you feel that your mom might not be supportive or be able to lend you support, then maybe it is better if you wait until you are financially independent.

That said, I'm wondering why do you think that your mom knows and just doesn't talk to you about it? Yes, sometimes parents do know but maybe she is also waiting for you to say something. Is your mom religious? What are your feelings as to how she might react, if you would come out to her?

It seems that your coming out has been going well thus far. In talking to your mom for example, maybe you could enlist the support of your sister?

If you decide to wait (something which i think you might want to consider at this point), take comfort in knowing that you have established a support network on which you can rely on for support.

Hope this helps a bit.