1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What should I do

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by tomahto72, Nov 9, 2008.

1. tomahto72

tomahto72 Guest

Hi there:
    One of my closer friends mum has just lost her battle with breast cancer. She really was a great woman but I don't know his emotional tendencies becasue we never really have had any deep and meaningfuls.
    I don't know what to do whether I should call him (bearing in mind I am living in the UK he is in Australia). The thing is I don't know how he would react and I also have no idea what to say.
    Help Me!!!
    :icon_sad:

2. EM68

If you are close, call him let him know that your are sorry for his loss. Tell him that even though that you are far away for him you are there for him if he wants to chat. Also tell him that he and his family are in your prayers.

3. Corny

Corny Guest

If he is a close friend of yours - contact him. Even when you have never been sharing much emotional stuff. I also never really know what to say in occasions like that - and I just start honest by "I really don't know what I should say, but I feel with you and wanted to contact you to see how you are holding up and if I can be of any help". Sometimes it helps people a lot when they just have someone to speak with.

4. tylerzane69

no matter if they are a close friend or not, if they are a friend you should contact them in some way, maybe by sending flowers with a personal note or sending a letter of some sort or even calling them. they will appreciate the gesture and realize that you do care. nobody really knows exactly what to do in times like these but you do your best and show that your there for support if they need to talk.....

5. Dark Secret

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You should contact him; it doesn't matter that you don't know what to say, what does matter is that you have shown you care by calling him to make sure he's bearing-up; let him know that you are there for him and that you are only a 'phone call/instant message away if he needs to talk.

Even when there is family around, the loss of a Loved One can cause a person to feel very isolated and alone. People tend to avoid a person in mourning because they simply don't know what to say for fear of upsetting them.

A friendly voice may be just what he needs right now.

6. Sarah

call him is a great idea. it might b a lil akward at first. just say that u real srry for what happend or u understand how hes feeling nd if he want to talk u can listen. but mak sure u dont mak it sound lik he HAS to talk. just dont sound lik u pity him.

7. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Contact him one way or the other. I'd use the technique you use most often. If you normally call, call. If you normally e-mail, that'd be fine. Just let him know you heard, how sorry you are, and perhaps share a memory. "I'll always remember her buying us ice cream and splashing in the pool with us on that trip." Close by saying, "Let me know if there's anything I can do." There probably isn't, but it's a nice gesture.

Lex

8. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    An e-mail is fine if that is how you usually communicate with him. I see nothing wrong with that but if you tend to call, then do that instead. Just tell him that you are thinking of him and that you care about what he's going through. That is really all you need to say.

9. tomahto72

tomahto72 Guest

thank you all for the advice, spoke to him not too long ago. He seems fine, I let him know but he said he has been preparing himself for this for a while because she had quite aggressive breast cancer. He said it was great I called him, and I told him if I could be there i would and if he needs to talk anytime just call regardless of time.

Thanks once again for the advice guys it helped a great deal

10. Dark Secret

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Glad to hear that you got in touch and that he is doing OK.

Even though he had been preparing for his Mother's death, it would still have been a great shock to him and his Family when she did pass.

Don't be afraid to treat him as you have always treat him the next time you get in touch.