1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out letter to parents

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by confuzzled82, Mar 2, 2015.

1. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm thinking about leaving a letter to my parents at their house to come out to them. Though I moved out of their house about 6 years ago, or so, they are still very much a part of my life, and I regularly do things with them, especially my dad, since we are in two pipe bands together. I do plan on hand writing this, as I know they will think it's more personal that way. I'm thinking about maybe doing this next weekend, as my dad and I have been going out of town together on Sundays for extra time with another member of the one pipe band, so we can fit in better, and it's not unusual for me to have dinner at their house after we get back home.

I thought I'd never be ready to do this, but, things change. Let me know what you guys think.

2. FancyGummy

MA, UNITED STATES, FURTHER DETAILS UNKNOWN
    Seems like a lovely letter to me. Written quite well.

3. TwoWays

Well written letter, excellent way of coming out. Hopefully your parents will understand.

4. Quen

Your letter is really good! That's how I plan to come out to my parents, too. Depending on how much your parents know about transpeople, you may want to include some resources about being trans* so they don't go to the wrong places for more information, maybe even just a PS with a link or website name. Up to you, of course.

5. Blackbirdz

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I wonder, will your letter show up in Google search results? Because if your parents are computer savvy and run a search on a verbatim portion of your letter, they could tie it to your EC account and learn more information about you than you want to disclose. You might want to remove the letter from your first post before it becomes a cached page.

#5 Blackbirdz, Mar 3, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  6. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's too late to edit that post, but I doubt they will search for it.