1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I get to go to therapy now.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by My True Self, Mar 2, 2015.

1. My True Self

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I came out to my mom a few minutes ago. She said she loves me but doesn't believe me. I'm going to therapy because I'm shy and she thinks that's where this came from. I'm not allowed on Facebook anymore and I can't tell people about it for 10 years. Please help. Meep. Falalalalalalalala. GHJHGYUIHGHI.vjihuioubhhuijubh.HfjHJghjHJBN This feel horrible. I'm not allowed to talk to the one person who does know and understand. I don't know what'll happen if I try to. :frowning2: I'm gonna go cry and write in my diary now.

2. AsheTheHuman

Can you do me a favor? Try to calm down and take a few deep breaths.

Done? Good. :slight_smile:

What kind of therapist is it? If it's a good one with a degree and credentials and all that, then that's a good thing. They'll no doubt tell your mom that she's being ridiculous, and she'll hopefully come around.

3. My True Self

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    She didn't say but they probably will be because she said it's to help me with being shy and my panic attacks so as to prove that I'm not Gay (No idea how those three things are related at all.).

4. AsheTheHuman

Me neither. Like I said though, this may very well turn out to be a good thing. Therapists have TONS of great resources and advice. Don't be afraid to open up to them.

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here's the good news: If your mom takes you to any sort of reputable therapist (i.e., one that isn't Christian), the therapist will totally get that you're gay, and will help your mom get with the program and realize you're gay and work on accepting that.

Any time anyone processes a loss -- in this case, loss of perception that you're straight -- there are stages in processing it. The stages are denial-anger-bargaining-grief-acceptance. They aren't always sequential, but it's clear your mom is in denial right now.

I can all but guarantee that you won't have to wait 10 years, and won't be off of facebook for any extended period of time. The important part is participating actively in therapy, working with your therapist, and asking for your therapist's help.

Again, this is assuming you don't get sent to a crazy Christian therapist; Google whomever your mom picks out for you and learn whatever you can about him/her before you go to have an idea of what you're getting in to. If you find the therapist, please feel free to post a link here and one of us who knows a bit about therapy and theoretical orientations can tell you what we know.

6. My True Self

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I can't google them becuase mom won't tell me their name. She told me she won't call a Christian one but I don't trust her.

7. whatdoIneed

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Remember no reputable therapist will try to "convert" you into being straight - maybe a good therapist will not only help your mom accept you are gay, but also help with your shyness. The important thing is to be honest and open with the therapist. Keep us posted

8. My True Self

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'll update once I've gone to my first appiontment (And possiblny tried contacting my older cousin because even though I'm not allowed she's the one person on earth I feel like talking to right now.)